× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 104 - Slow transfer speeds

Maximus360
Guide

Readynas 104 - Slow transfer speeds

Hi all

Can someone please tell me if the transfer speeds i am seeing are normal. I am pretty sure that i use to see around 70Mb but now i am only seeing 10Mb, both directions.

When i transfer files from my PC to NAS or vise versa i am seeing speeds of around 10Mb, everything is on a 1G LAN so i would expect to see greater speeds than 10Mb.

My setup is

PC - Windows 10 with 1G NIC and SSD

TP Link 8port 1G switch

TP Link ADSL router with 4x1G ports

RN104 using SMB for file transfer

all cat5e cabling throughout.

My ADSL link out to the network is 10Mb, to me it looks like when i am transfering files on my LAN the transfer is going out on the internet and back again, is this possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Maximus360
Guide

Re : Readynas 104 - Slow transfer speeds

Hi

I have managed to solve the issue, it looked to be an issue with my RJ45 terminations. I put a cable tester on each end and the pinouts where terminated incorrectly using only 6 pins out of 8. This was giving me 100Mb connection. I then re-terminated the connections and tested and the interfaces are now showing 1Gb connection with all 8 pins being used.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
Ostro
Aspirant

Hello just creating my forum account to ask the EXACLY same question.

My Speed a lmitited to 10 mo/s up and down since 6.6 update.

I'am actualy running 6.6.1 on RN104

Capture.PNG

Message 2 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your NAS reporting that it has a 1000Mbit (Gigabit) connection or a 100Mbit one?

Message 3 of 15
Ostro
Aspirant

nas interface say 100 Mbps !! 

what to do ?

EDIT : ok just change port from eth0 to eth1 and my nas card running 1 gbps.

Have ~20 Mo/s upload and ~35 Mo/s download as i had before 6.6.0 upgrade.

🙂 is there any way top improve the speed alittle more ?

Message 4 of 15
Maximus360
Guide

My Nas is connected to the 1G port and NAS reports 1G connection too.

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Maximus360 wrote:

My Nas is connected to the 1G port and NAS reports 1G connection too.

Is readycloud installed on the PC?  If so, try disabling the Leaf VPN adapter and see if anything changes.

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Ostro wrote:

Have ~20 Mo/s upload and ~35 Mo/s download as i had before 6.6.0 upgrade.

Since you did negotiate the wrong speed at least once, perhaps try a different ethernet cable (or router/switch port).  The cable should be at least Cat5e.

It should be possible to get 70 MB/s download and ~35 MB/s upload with RAID-5.

Do you recall what firmware was installed when you first purchased the NAS?  There have been adjustments to the low-level volume settings over time.  If your volume is very old, starting fresh with a factory reset (restoring data from backup) might improve performance.  I did that last spring with my RN102, and it jumped from about 35 MB/s download to 70.

Message 7 of 15
Maximus360
Guide

No i do not have readycloud installed, and i factory reset my nas around 6 months ago after installing brand new HDD's. I am running the latest firmware. I purchased my NAS in 2014 and have alway upgraded to the latest firmware when released.

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Maximus360 wrote:

No i do not have readycloud installed, and i factory reset my nas around 6 months ago after installing brand new HDD's. I am running the latest firmware. I purchased my NAS in 2014 and have alway upgraded to the latest firmware when released.

Ok, so that is covered.  Perhaps try a different cable then.

How are you testing performance?  Generally I recommend NAStester (if you run windows) - http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance.

Message 9 of 15
Maximus360
Guide

All cabling is new and using cat5e. When i transfer a file from my nas to my PC i can see the speed runs at around 10Mb.

When transferring files to and from a NAS drive that is all on the same LAN, do the packets leave the LAN go over internet and come back again. Because its odd that the bottle neck seems to be my broadband speed. Also when i disconnect the ADSL cable from my router my understanding is that i should still be able to connect to the NAS on its private IP as its all on the same LAN. This is not the case though the NAS loses its IP when i remove the link to the internet, is this normal?

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Maximus360 wrote:

When transferring files to and from a NAS drive that is all on the same LAN, do the packets leave the LAN go over internet and come back again.

No it shouldn't.  SMB connects locally unless you have a VPN client running (which you don't).

@Maximus360 wrote:

Also when i disconnect the ADSL cable from my router my understanding is that i should still be able to connect to the NAS on its private IP as its all on the same LAN. This is not the case though the NAS loses its IP when i remove the link to the internet, is this normal?

No it's not.  Can you explain your network setup a bit more?  

• Are you using an ADSL gateway, or an ADSL modem + a router?  
  • If you are using an ADSL modem + a router, is the ethernet cable between them connected to the router's internet port?  
  • What brand/models are you using for internet access?

Message 11 of 15
Ostro
Aspirant

can i create a new raid array without loosing data ? i dont have any storage with enought space ..?

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Ostro wrote:

can i create a new raid array without losing data ? 

Unfortunately not.

@Ostro wrote:

i dont have any storage with enough space ..?

RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe, only another copy on a different device can do that.  So I do suggest investing in some backup storage.

Message 13 of 15
Maximus360
Guide

Hi

I have managed to solve the issue, it looked to be an issue with my RJ45 terminations. I put a cable tester on each end and the pinouts where terminated incorrectly using only 6 pins out of 8. This was giving me 100Mb connection. I then re-terminated the connections and tested and the interfaces are now showing 1Gb connection with all 8 pins being used.

Thanks

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Maximus360 wrote:

pinouts where terminated incorrectly using only 6 pins out of 8. This was giving me 100Mb connection. I then re-terminated the connections and tested and the interfaces are now showing 1Gb connection with all 8 pins being used.

Bad connections in the cable can also completely destroy auto-negotiation (depending on what pins they are).  It's good you found that problem.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements