× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 314 and iDrive

Beruthial
Aspirant

Readynas 314 and iDrive

Hi I have been running iDrive for ages but today I upgraded the version to the current 2.0.0 and now when I attempt to log in on the authenticate your Netgear device page and I enter the NAS user name and pw I get the following message : 

NAS User Does Not Have Enough Permission

Access /etc/passwd file, change /sbin/nologin to /bin/sh for admin user and try again.

What does this mean and how do I change it?

Thanks for your help

Message 1 of 10
walkoffhomerun
Aspirant

Re: Readynas 314 and iDrive

i have same problem.  is this an idrive issue or netgear readynas issue?

Message 2 of 10
Beruthial
Aspirant

Hi, I am not sure. iDrive tech fixed the problem by remotely logging in as I am totally unfamiliar with linux. However, I had to change my iDrive password and am having the same problem. I really need to know how to access linux off a windows PC and fix this myself. But in the meantime I'll have to log another ticket. PITA if this happens everytime the program gets updated or I change the password.

Message 3 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't use iDrive, but I know enough Linux I can help with the instructions given.

In order to access the NAS Linux command line, you need to enable SSH on the NAS "Settings" tab.  Then, open a Windows command prompt and type ssh root@<NAS_IP_Address> (using the real IP address.  The password is the same as the NAS admin password.

Now you need to edit a file.  The built-in editor is a big pain to use, but you can use it with vi /etc/passwd.  But you are better off installing another editor first -- I like nano.  So, do an apt-get install nano (which will take a bit), then nano /etc/passwd.

But then comes a problem, the file it's telling you to change does not contain the line it's telling you to change.  It has this:

admin:x:98:98::/home/admin:/bin/bash, and I don't think you should be changing that from bash to sh.  The change it's asking you to make would be if admin wasn't allowed login at all.  So, you're going to have to get somebody who knows iDrive to tell you what else might be causing this. 

One possibility is that iDrive is trying to use sudo to elevate admin's rights to root access, but the ReadyNAS does not include sudo, it expects you to log in a user root in ssh.  When logged in SSH as root, you can try apt-get install sudo.  This is as much a guess as anything else, so it may or may not solve your problem.  But I don't think it will hurt, either.

Message 4 of 10
Beruthial
Aspirant

Hi, I did see the tech type sudo the other day. He sort of got it working but had to leave the admin ssh on but the main ssh off. It used to work with both ssh off. I have another tech session tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.
Is Nano equivalent to Putty?
Thanks
Message 5 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

There is no "admin SSH and "main SSH".  While you can SSH in as admin, Netgear intends you to SSH in as root.

Nano is a text editor that's a whole lot easier to use than the pre-installed VI.  But your tech-savvy guy is probably already comfortable with VI.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Beruthial wrote:
Is Nano equivalent to Putty?

No, they are completely different.  Nano is a text editor that runs on Linux.  Putty is a connection tool that runs on Windows (allowing you to reach the NAS with telnet or ssh).

Once connected with putty, you get a linux command line interface on the PC.  From there you could run Nano, or any other command line tool you have installed on the NAS.

Message 7 of 10
Beruthial
Aspirant

Hi , the 'admin' and 'main' ssh was what the IDrive person said to me. So what is the difference between the two ssh settings in:

1. Settings > services> ssh   - this is off

2. Accounts > users> settings > ssh > allow shell access  this is on now.

I have attached screen shots in two posts

Thanks again

Message 8 of 10
Beruthial
Aspirant

Here is the 2nd screenshot

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Beruthial wrote:

So what is the difference between the two ssh settings in:

1. Settings > services> ssh   - this is off

2. Accounts > users> settings > ssh > allow shell access  this is on now.

(1) controls whether ssh is allowed on the NAS at all.  Then this is disabled, then connection attempts like

ssh root@nas-ip-address
ssh admin@nas-ip-address

fail, because the NAS doesn't respond at all.  This will happen even if (2) is enabled.

(2) controls whether a specific account is allowed to access the NAS with ssh.  If (1) is enabled, but (2) is disabled for admin, then 

ssh root@nas-ip-address

will connect and give you a password prompt. Entering the correct password will give you shell access.

ssh admin@nas-ip-address

will also connect, and give you a password prompt. But the session will disconnect even if you enter the correct password.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements