× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas RN104 and X-raid migration to brand new model

majtik
Aspirant

Readynas RN104 and X-raid migration to brand new model

Hi,

I use Rn104 NAS with X-raid system ( 4+2+2+4 TB drives ) for some years. What happens, if my device crashes / dies ( and repair is impossible ) ? Can I move my HDDs on brand new model of Netgear NAS ( also running on X-raid system ) without loosing my data ?

Or is everything lost and I can use only empty discs on new NAS ?

Thx for answers.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas RN104 and X-raid migration to brand new model

Currently, yes.  If at some point Netgear introduces an entirely new OS, even if it uses XRAID, you will have to wait and see.  Users of legacy ReadyNASes running OS 4.x and 5.x have a migration path to 6.x, somtimes requiring Netgaer direct assistance, but the drives cannot be directly moved.

Message 2 of 4
majtik
Aspirant

Thx,

I use latest OS 6 version ( I quess 6.9.0 ), so if I use new NAS with this version of OS, the migration will work ?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@majtik wrote:

Thx,

I use latest OS 6 version ( I quess 6.9.0 ), so if I use new NAS with this version of OS, the migration will work ?

Yes.  Arm-specific apps won't migrate to an x86 NAS, but everything else would.  So if the RN104 is still functional, it would be good to uninstall the apps before you migrate to an X86 NAS (reinstalling them after migration).  That wouldn't be needed if you migrated to an RN210 series.

Current OS is 6.9.1 btw.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements