× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote access to data

DLinMA
Aspirant

Remote access to data

I haven't worked with this product extensively. Looking for recommendations.

The user wants to be able to access the NAS from both a PC and MAC remotely (off-site).

There are multiple shares: U: (home folder), W: (share), P: (share), F: (share)

The user wants to be able to connect remotley and be able to access all of the shares easily (seeing everything in one window) and have them secure.  What ports may I have to open do on the firewall or create a DMZ (if their router lets me do that)?

Or, would it be better to install a program like GoodSync?

Thank you in advance.

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Remote access to data

It's best not to open ports for SMB.

You can use the built-in ReadyCloud service, but that won't work with the home share - so you'd need to migrate that to a public share (with restricted access if that is desired).  

Another option is to deploy another VPN.  Does your router support OpenVPN?  ZeroTier is another possibility (deployed on the NAS and on the remote PCs).

Message 2 of 4
DLinMA
Aspirant

Do you know if OpenVPN or ZeroTier allow the user to see their home share?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@DLinMA wrote:

Do you know if OpenVPN or ZeroTier allow the user to see their home share?

Yes.  Users use the same account credentials as they would on the local network, so they continue to see their home share.

OpenVPN is built into many routers (including all Nighthawk and Orbi models). If it is installed in the router, then no port forwarding is needed.  You'd also need to enable DDNS - Netgear has a free service bundled into their routers, noip.com also offers a free service (there are some others out there also).  OpenVPN would give the remote user full access to the local network (including shares not hosted by the NAS, and network printers).

ZeroTier is installed on the NAS (not the router), and is configured through my.zerotier.com.  The app on apps.readynas.com isn't current, but still is functional.  You can install the current software directly on the NAS, but you'd need to configure it with ssh.  I don't think port forwarding is normally needed, but there is information on the zerotier site on what to forward if you need it. ZeroTier would only give the remote user access to the NAS (or other local machines that have ZeroTier installed).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements