× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4.

bp75
Aspirant

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4.

Had an error on drive 3, had it replaced.  Notice: data restored successfully.  Then got notice that drive 2 had errors. Went to investigate and now says: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4.

Please advise.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4.

if it is booted and you can get to the system management page, go to system > settings > factory default

otherwise, you could do it from the boot menu, but that is a little more involved.

there is a recessed button on the back of the nas, you would need to power up while the button is pressed until you get the boot menu on the lcd screen, press the backup button to cycle through modes, press the button in the back to activate the selected mode.

if you have a device without lcd display, see also @ https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312?cid=wmt...

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
TeknoJnky
Hero

I have had this happen in the past, not sure what caused it.

Don't panic and don't remove any drives.

What I did was power off.

let it sit a few minutes

the powered back on and it worked normally without issue

if that doesn't bring the volume back up, you may need to wait for support to reply and/or open a support ticket with regular netgear support.

If you do get the volume back up and running, I would make sure you have good backup of any important data.

Nas/raid devices are not backups, backups are separate copies of your data on separate devices/locations.

Message 2 of 12
bp75
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  No joy with reboot.  Fortunately I do have backups.  However, looking for direction on how to troubleshoot and either recreate, or start over with backups.

OS 6.6.1

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in the logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 4 of 12
bp75
Aspirant

Sent logs, thank you.

Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

[Wed Apr 12 12:29:15 2017] md: md127 stopped.
[Wed Apr 12 12:29:15 2017] md/raid:md127: device sda3 operational as raid disk 0
[Wed Apr 12 12:29:15 2017] md/raid:md127: device sdd3 operational as raid disk 3
[Wed Apr 12 12:29:15 2017] md/raid:md127: allocated 4354kB
[Wed Apr 12 12:29:15 2017] md/raid:md127: not enough operational devices (2/4 failed)
[Wed Apr 12 12:29:15 2017] md/raid:md127: failed to run raid set.
[Wed Apr 12 12:29:15 2017] md: md127 stopped.

You should contact support if you want to purchase a data recovery contract for a data recovery attempt.

Message 6 of 12
bp75
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.  Can you help me understand what those logs mean.  I assume disk 3 that I replaced with a new one is good?? Or is that brand new disk bad as well.  Does 2/4 in the log mean 2 out of 4 disks failed?  Which disks?  Just replace disk 2 as well and I should be good?  Thanks again.

Message 7 of 12
TeknoJnky
Hero

sounds like disk 2 might have failed at some point before the volume was fully resynced.

Message 8 of 12
bp75
Aspirant

OK, I replaced disk 2 and i now get disk 2 greyed out and removed from the error which now reads: "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,3,4."

How do I reset everything to make it useable and start fresh and copy my backups over to the drive.

Message 9 of 12
TeknoJnky
Hero

if it is booted and you can get to the system management page, go to system > settings > factory default

otherwise, you could do it from the boot menu, but that is a little more involved.

there is a recessed button on the back of the nas, you would need to power up while the button is pressed until you get the boot menu on the lcd screen, press the backup button to cycle through modes, press the button in the back to activate the selected mode.

if you have a device without lcd display, see also @ https://kb.netgear.com/22892/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312?cid=wmt...

Message 10 of 12
bp75
Aspirant

Excellent, thanks for the reply.  I'm up and running again and recreating the data.  Really appreciate your time.  I know it's simple/obvious stuff for you guys but still appreciate you chiming in and helpin out.  All the best.

Message 11 of 12
TeknoJnky
Hero

You're welcome!

Btw, you were very smart to make backups.

You might consider getting a 6 or 8 bay readynas if your storage needs grow, that way you can utilize dual redundancy and hopefully avoid any future scenario if a 2nd drive fails during a rebuild/resync.

You could then use your 4 bay nas as another backup destination using backup jobs and/or replicate.

The more copies of your data the better.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements