× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Revitalizing ReadyNAS Pro 6

Sunfox1
Aspirant

Revitalizing ReadyNAS Pro 6

I’ve been running a ReadyNAS Pro 6 since early 2012, using an X-RAID2 array of 3TB hard drives that went from (I believe) 4 x 3TB now to 6 x 3TB.

I’ve had to replace a bunch of drives over the years, and the PSU a couple years back, but otherwise it’s still working fine, and even has its network interfaces trunked.

But, It’s no longer my primary NAS. That one I’m just finishing expanding from 8 x 8TB to 8 x 12TB, and as soon as the repair / expansion is finished, I plan on clearing off the old ReadyNAS and giving it some TLC.

I have a bunch of questions about this.

- I’m still running OS 4.2.31, which is so antiquated I need to use a virtual machine to even access the web interface. I know OS6 is “unofficially” supported, but are there any gotchas I should be aware of? Like, I remember there being an issue with the fans running at full speed after upgrading - was this ever addressed?

- Are there any size limits on the drives I can put into it?

- What’s the best RAID type to use on a new array? Don’t want to get stuck with the 8TB expansion limit that XRAID had.

- Assuming I’m just using it as a dumb file server, should I upgrade the RAM and CPU while I’m at it? It’s still just stock on both of those (actual -200 part number).
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Revitalizing ReadyNAS Pro 6

@Sunfox1 wrote:

- I’m still running OS 4.2.31, which is so antiquated I need to use a virtual machine to even access the web interface. I know OS6 is “unofficially” supported, but are there any gotchas I should be aware of? Like, I remember there being an issue with the fans running at full speed after upgrading - was this ever addressed?

There is an add-on that will add TLS 1.2 support to 4.2.x systems (from @WhoCares_ ).

I haven't run into any gotchas with my Pro-6 (including the fan speed). I do recommend upgrading the RAM to at least 2 GB before you upgrade though. No reason I can see to upgrade the CPU if all you are using it for is a file server.

@Sunfox1 wrote:

- Are there any size limits on the drives I can put into it?

No known limit.

@Sunfox1 wrote:

- What’s the best RAID type to use on a new array? Don’t want to get stuck with the 8TB expansion limit that XRAID had.

XRAID is fine (and has no expansion limit with OS-6).

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If it's really a Pro6 (part number ends with -200), then no need for a processor upgrade.  If it's really a ProBE or Pro Pioneer (-100), then a processor upgrade will have benefits.  But if it is a -100, make sure you update the BIOS before conversion.  AFAIK, all Pro6 units have the latest, but you should check.

Message 3 of 6
Sunfox1
Aspirant

Thanks. It is a Pro 6 - BIOS shows as "07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0" and in boot_info it shows "model: ReadyNAS Pro 6"... and looking up the old bill of sale, part number is -200. Is v2.0 the most current BIOS?

I've ordered a 4gb kit (2x2gb) since I didn't want to get into the can of worms that is 4gb modules. I've already swapped the PSU a few years ago, but I might now consider a fan replacement with a Noctua or something - although from a quick look I understand the pinout would need to be adjusted?

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sunfox1 wrote:

BIOS shows as "07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0"

That is current.

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Putting in the Noctua fan is potential trouble, as it's stall speed is different than the stock fan.  While the OS6 fan control on legacy NAS has been fixed for a long while, changing out the stock fan for one with different specs can cause problems.  Definitely don't do it until you see if you need it more quiet than with OS6 on the "Quiet" setting.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements