× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Samba Frustrations

ylafont
Aspirant

Samba Frustrations

Windows 10 1709 (Build 16299.125)

ReadyNas Pro 6 (Radiators 4.2.31 )

Windows 10   upgraded to 1709 (Build 16299.125), after which I find Samba v1 has been removed and I can no longer connect to my Readynas Pro 6 (Radiators 4.2.31 ) shares.   I search most of the threads, however I did not find a concrete solution on enabling and configuring Samba V3 on the Readynas Pro.

Best, thread I found was (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/SMB-1-0-Given-Wanna-Cry/td-p/1283738) which mentions adding “server min protocol = SMB3”  to the /etc/frontview/samba/smb.conf.overrides file   (FYI – file did not exist so I created it).    Reboot system, but no dice.

The thread also mentions installing SMB Plus, which I could not find for radiator 4.2.31.   Is there a version around somewhere I could use?

Are there any specific instructions on  getting this work and configuring Samba?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6310|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Samba Frustrations

The version of samba in RAIDiator 4.2.31 has experimental support for SMB2, but not support for SMB3.

SMB Plus is an app for ReadyNAS OS 6.

It sounds like you should either re-enable support for SMB v1 on your PC or consider upgrading to OS6 even though it's not supported (don't forget to make sure your backup is up to date first as you will need to restore that).

Message 2 of 11
ylafont
Aspirant

Thought about enabling Samba v1 on the OS,  I cant  find the service that enables it(does not apear to be installed.    although Micrsoft pages say it can be re-enabled.

Before i do the upgrade to 6 (it will take days to back up the data), how can  SMB  v2 be enable on the readybnas?   

BTW - thank you for the assistance

Message 3 of 11
TeknoJnky
Hero

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-serve...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-sm...

TLDR; try this and reboot

Open administrator cmd prompt

dism.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:SMB1Protocol

for some reason the forum keeps putting the emoticon, see also @ https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/7ac3mo/how_can_i_reenable_smbv1_in_windows_10_1709/

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

for some reason the forum keeps putting the emoticon

Emoticons are special character sequences, and generally start with :

I avoid the accidental emulation by bolding the colons - I took the liberty of doing that with your post.

On the main issue, turning on SMB1 is done in Windows 10 by

• Entering turn Windows in the search bar.  Turn Windows features on or off should appear at the top.  Select it.
  • Scroll down the features list, and you will find SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.  Click on the + next to the checkbox.
  • Then you will see SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/CIFS Server as separate entries. 
  • To simply access the NAS, check the client box and click ok.

If you want to back up a PC share to the NAS with the Frontview backup jobs, you'll need to enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS server also.  That carries a higher security risk for the PC, so I suggest using a different way to back up the PC (Acronis TrueImage, FreeFileSync, or some other package that runs on the PC).

After you enable the SMBv1 client, you might also find that you need to enter NAS credentials into the Windows Credential Store.  If your NAS isn't using user-mode authentication, you should switch to that mode.

Message 5 of 11
ylafont
Aspirant

Had already tried  most of these solutions to no avail  usually i get this

Feature name SMB1Protocol is unknown.
A Windows feature name was not recognized.
Use the /Get-Features option to find the name of the feature in the image and try the command again.

also  tried 

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

and no go.

Pretty much not matter what i tried, i could not install it.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Do you see it listed when you look in "turn windows features on or off"?

Message 7 of 11
ylafont
Aspirant

Tried that also,  protocols are not listed in the list.

2018-02-05 09_37_30-Windows Features.png

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

Had already tried  most of these solutions to no avail  usually i get this

Feature name SMB1Protocol is unknown.
A Windows feature name was not recognized.
Use the /Get-Features option to find the name of the feature in the image and try the command again.

also  tried 

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

and no go.

Pretty much not matter what i tried, i could not install it.

Do you see it in powershell when you run it as administrator?

That is, Get-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online –FeatureName SMB1Protocol

Message 9 of 11
ylafont
Aspirant

yes, all commands were execuated on a elevated Powershell window. the OS woudl otehr complain stating it needs elevated privileges. 

Althouugh i am not get symtoms  of a full blank features list, i am trying the steps below to see it helps.

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-blank-turn-windows-features-on-or-off-list/

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

There might be a GPO that's blocking it.  So maybe also look here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/staysafe/2017/05/17/disable-smb-v1-in-managed-environments-with-...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements