× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Seagate IronWolf compatibility (ST4000VN006 vs ST4000VN008)

richard-york
Aspirant

Seagate IronWolf compatibility (ST4000VN006 vs ST4000VN008)

Hi everyone, the compatibility list for my RN204 for 4TB Seagate shows the older model ST4000VN008. Unfortunately though this has been replaced by an updated version, identified as the ST4000VN006. Niether the Netgear site or the Seagate site shows the 006 as tested on ReadyNAS servers so I'm a bit stuck as to what to do.

https://pnpdxb.com/blogs/hdd-2/seagate-st4000vn006-vs-st4000vn008

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Seagate IronWolf compatibility (ST4000VN006 vs ST4000VN008)

@richard-york wrote:

Hi everyone, the compatibility list for my RN204 for 4TB Seagate shows the older model ST4000VN008. Unfortunately though this has been replaced by an updated version, identified as the ST4000VN006. Niether the Netgear site or the Seagate site shows the 006 as tested on ReadyNAS servers so I'm a bit stuck as to what to do.

Just get the current Ironwolf model.

Netgear has always been slow to update the HCL and gradually it has become less and less useful. IMO it is best to ignore it.  Netgear also appears to be quiet-quitting the NAS business, so it is not surprising that Seagate isn't testing ReadyNAS.

I recommend instead just getting NAS-purposed or enterprise disks - the one exception being the WD Red line, which are SMR - they don't work well with OS-6 NAS.  WD Red Plus and Red Pro are CMR, and remain good choices (as do all Ironwolf models). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@richard-york wrote:

Just get the current Ironwolf model.

Netgear has always been slow to update the HCL and gradually it has become less and less useful. IMO it is best to ignore it.  Netgear also appears to be quiet-quitting the NAS business, so it is not surprising that Seagate isn't testing ReadyNAS.

I recommend instead just getting NAS-purposed or enterprise disks - the one exception being the WD Red line, which are SMR - they don't work well with OS-6 NAS.  WD Red Plus and Red Pro are CMR, and remain good choices (as do all Ironwolf models). 

Message 2 of 3
richard-york
Aspirant

Hi, many thanks for the really quick reply and for your thoughts. I've spotted a manufacturer refurb version of the older version of the drive that I've ordered (has a Seagate warranty) but for future failures I'll go for the current IronWolf product.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements