× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Toshiba P300 3TB Drive

Soody
Aspirant

Toshiba P300 3TB Drive

Hi all, first posting. Had a quick search and looked at the hardware compatibility list but no success. Have an opportunity to connect up a DUO v2 that I have just been given as a back up unit to my network, which consists of a Win 10 and a Win 7 PC as well as a Mac Mini and an old Linux box. Can get my hands on some reasonably priced Toshiba P300 3TB drives and was wondering if anyone has used them in the Duo v2. Also did see that a few people had issues with connecting the unit to Win 10 PCs, anything I should know before I start?

Thanks in advance.

S

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Toshiba P300 3TB Drive

@Soody wrote:

Thanks,

There is a brand new NAS202 on eBay for sub £200 with 2 x 3TB HDs.

An RN202 will give good performance too.

You might have trouble with the warranty if the seller isn't an authorized reseller.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Soody wrote:

Hi all, first posting. Had a quick search and looked at the hardware compatibility list but no success. Have an opportunity to connect up a DUO v2 that I have just been given as a back up unit to my network...

A lot of v1 owners mistakenly think they have a v2 - the labels are confusing.

Please read this guide first, and tell us if you have a v1 or a v2:  http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Message 2 of 9
Soody
Aspirant

Thanks for the linik re different models. Just checked the back and the layout is that of a v1 even though the label underneath says v2. Nice move Netgear....

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Soody wrote:

. Nice move Netgear....

They've paid the price for that mistake many times over...

@Soody wrote:

Just checked the back and the layout is that of a v1 

Unfortunately the v1 is limited to 2 TB drives, so you can't use the Toshiba P300.  

The HCL for both the v1 and the v2 is dated, Netgear has stopped updating it.  You can use WD20EFRX or the ST2000VN000  NAS-purposed drives are a good fit for your NAS, it isn't fast enough to get any speed boost from enterprise-class drives.  Though 2 TB or smaller enterprise drives should work.

Message 4 of 9
Soody
Aspirant

Stephen, thanks for the info. As they say 'Bugger!' I have 12TB in my main PC and wanted to back off a lot of that into the NAS unit. Sounds like I will need to look for an alternative NAS unit as 4TB max won't meet my needs.

Suspect I won't get much for it on eBay.

Regards

Soody

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Soody wrote:

Stephen, thanks for the info. As they say 'Bugger!' I have 12TB in my main PC and wanted to back off a lot of that into the NAS unit. Sounds like I will need to look for an alternative NAS unit as 4TB max won't meet my needs.

An RN214 would be a reasonable choice.

Message 6 of 9
Soody
Aspirant

Thanks,

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Soody wrote:

Thanks,

An RN202 will give good performance too.

You might have trouble with the warranty if the seller isn't an authorized reseller.

Message 8 of 9
Soody
Aspirant

Missed out on the RND202. gives me time to do some real research.

Thanks for your help.

S

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements