× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD Red 3TB could not be used in NetgearNAS NV+ RND4000

MarcR
Aspirant

WD Red 3TB could not be used in NetgearNAS NV+ RND4000

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ RND4000 with this configuration

Ch 1 : Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 [1862 GB] 
Ch 2 : Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 [1862 GB] 
Ch 3 : WDC WD20EARX-00ZUDB0 [1862 GB] 
Ch 4 : WDC WD20EARX-00ZUDB0 [1862 GB] 

The disk in Ch1 is logging errors so I decided it's time to change it and went and bought a WD30EFRX WD Red 3TB.

I then tried to remove the Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 and add the WD30EFRX WD Red 3TB and I got this error:

<< The disk attached to channel 1 could not be used. The most common reasons are RAID resync in progress, faulty drives, and disks that are too small to be added to the array. >>

So I reinserted the original Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 and it accepted it and it's re-syncing but I'd really like to change that disk.

Any idea why the WD Red 3TB is not accepted. 

- It's not dead, I tried two WD Red 3TB

- It's not too small, it's actually 1TB larger than the three 2TB disks remaining.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WD Red 3TB could not be used in NetgearNAS NV+ RND4000

Hello MarcR,

Welcome to the community!

When you removed the disk 1 that has errors, were you able to access the files? With XRAID (RAID5 in your case since that is a 4-bay NAS), you are allowed to have 1 faulty disk and still have the data intact so you should still be able to see the files without one of the 4 disks.

If you are still able to and the new disk you are inserting is not being accepted, please make sure that new disk is empty an no partition. I suggest you check it with diagnostic tools.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
MarcR
Aspirant

The two drives I tried were brand new, factory sealed. They're unlikely to have had any data on them, not even a partition.

Yes, the unit is working fine with or without the Ch1 disk. It's in X-RAID mode.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@MarcR wrote:

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ RND4000 with this configuration

Any idea why the WD Red 3TB is not accepted. 

- It's not dead, I tried two WD Red 3TB

- It's not too small, it's actually 1TB larger than the three 2TB disks remaining.

It's not accepted because your NV+ doesn't support disks > 2 TB.

It's a very old platform, and can't handle GPT formatting.  The disk sizes also can't be correctly detected, which is why it is reported as too small.

There is no workaround.

Message 4 of 7
MarcR
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.

Before I go wasting more money on drives, two questions:

- In your opinion, will the WD Red 2TB work instead of the 3TB?

- What's the replacement product for the NV+? I've been happy with Netgear.

Marc

Message 5 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello MarcR,

Did not notice that you were inserting 3TB disk, this wont work on old NAS units. You can only use max of 2TB size of disk.

Best that matches this old NAS is RN104 or the RN204. Check http://netgear.com/home/products/connected-storage/

Regards, 

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@MarcR wrote:

- In your opinion, will the WD Red 2TB work instead of the 3TB?

Absolutely.  I use the W20EFRX in my duo v1 (which has the same processor/architecture).

- What's the replacement product for the NV+? I've been happy with Netgear.

If you go back far enough the NV+ was a business NAS.  As technology improved, it became an entry-level home NAS.

So the equivalent product at the end of the NV+ is the RN104.  It is faster than the NV+.  If you are looking at the NV+ in its prime, then its probably the RN314.

Maybe a better approach is to figure out what you need.  If its consolidated storage, the RN104 might be all the NAS you need.  It includes all the major features of the NV+ (and some new things). Some new features underperform though (antivirus scanning will bog it down, RAID-6/dual redundancy performance is not great).  So you might want to upgrade.

If you are interested in media streaming, then the RN214 would be great choice - it's quadcore ARM processor can transcode 1080p in real time, which is very helpful for internet streaming.

The entry-level business model would be the RN314.  It has lifetime free software support (chat/email).  The RN100/RN200 models only have 90 day software support included in the purchase price.  It can do media streaming, but might be a bit behind the RN21x in that one area. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements