× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why Do Custom Folder Icons Not Appear on ReadyNAS When Browsed From Windows Explorer on LAN?

Bob_K
Tutor

Why Do Custom Folder Icons Not Appear on ReadyNAS When Browsed From Windows Explorer on LAN?

• ReadyNAS Ultra 4 running OS6.6.1
  • Windows 7 Home computers browsing to NAS using Windows Explorer over wireless LAN
  • NAS folders are backed up regularly to mirror those on a separate desktop computer
  • Folders contain custom .ico images
  • Custom folder icons are first set locally on the desktop computer using the Windows folder Customize dialog box.
  • Desktop.ini in folder is then edited to have relative filename for IconResource
    • i.e. "IconResource=Folder.ico,0" so it looks for the .ico in the same folder rather than at an absolute file location
  • Then, folders are backed up to the NAS.
  • .ico properties, permissions, attributes, and size are the same on folders that do and don't display the custom icon
  • A .ico and desktop.ini file combination that work in one folder won't work when they're copied to another folder that doesn't display custom icons properly.
  • The custom folder icons always display correctly when viewed locally on the desktop computer.
  • When the desktop computer is browsed via LAN from other network computers, the customized folder icons also display correctly.

Sometimes the custom folder icons on the NAS will display correctly and sometimes they won't display.  I've checked the folder, .ico, and desktop.ini properties and they are all the same in folders that do and don't display the icon properly.

Any ideas for getting custom folder icons to display correctly on the NAS when browsed from Windows Explorer?

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Why Do Custom Folder Icons Not Appear on ReadyNAS When Browsed From Windows Explorer on LAN?

How are you copying them from one NAS to the other.  There are some differences in the meanings of permissions between Windows and SMB, and that could be a part of the problem,

Message 2 of 4
Bob_K
Tutor

Re: Why Do Custom Folder Icons Not Appear on ReadyNAS When Browsed From Windows Explorer on LAN?

I do the backups using GoodSync.  What's weird is that sometimes the NAS folders display icons just fine and other times they don't.

Message 3 of 4
Bob_K
Tutor

As I do more research, it seems it may have something to do with the NAS not storing file attribute flags (such as System, Read Only, and Hidden) which prompt Windows to then read the Desktop.ini folder and obey the commands inside of it.

Some have suggested modifying the "smb.conf" on a NAS in the [Global] section by adding the line:

store dos attributes = yes

I'm an amateur and I'm not sure if there's an equivalent for a ReadyNAS.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements