× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can no longer log in from Windows 10 (even with admin)

MCDelaware
Tutor

can no longer log in from Windows 10 (even with admin)

Sinc e I upgraded, I cannot access any user diresctories with Windows 10.

I can log on to the Admin page via ReadyNas web but no access with File Manager.

I've tried all users including admin but neazrly every time, I get the same error message telling me to caontact the admin person but that is me 😞

The Windows 10 error message: "\\NAS\User is not accessible. You miught not have permissions to use the network resource......"

That is while Im looking at the highest directory tree for NAS in Windows 10.

Once in a while I have limited success using the cmd someone shared the other day!

net use * /delete /y

to clear the last attempted user (thanks for that nugget!) and I can get into the files but only with admin and only on some occassions. BUT I can NEVER get back into user folders with user credentials.

I have resat the NAS and reloaded the latest operating system at least twice.

I can get nowhere fairly consistently :(.

Maybe I screwed up the user credentials or maybe there is an easy tweek I can do?????

I fear the first and hope for the last.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: can no longer log in from Windows 10 (even with admin)

Try opening up the Windows credential manager, and deleting all credentials for the NAS.

Then add a windows credential using the IP address, and use the username/password of a NAS user account.

After you've done that, try rebooting the PC, and accessing the NAS using it's IP address - and let us know how that goes. 

Message 2 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

There has been an issue with Windows10 and Linux Samba for a while now, and it looks to have finally struck you on this update.  I've had it on some of my computers for a while.  It's associated with device naming in some way, but not in any way I've been able to determine nor have found anyone who has.  It affects systems other than ReadyNAS, but not all equally.  The work-arounds are to use the IP address instead of the name and/or add the name and IP to the HOSTS file.  This, of course, requires that the NAS have a fixed IP address.  But that's always a good idea, and is best implemented by reserving an address in your router rather than using a static IP via the NAS settings.

Message 3 of 12
MCDelaware
Tutor

I think I did what you suggested.

I received different results but not the desired solution (hopefully another clue to where I screwed up?).

When I now type IP address/username for the NAS (http://192.168.1.175) it opens a web browser panel in Windows 10 as if I'm looking for an external device. That is a new oddity.

- If I use the admin account, it opens the local web page for ReadyNas.

- If I use a user account, it opens a web page with the 404 Not Found error.

"The requested URL /usernamehere was not found on this server."

- If I put in a garbage user name (no account established), I get a different 404 error.

"The requested URL /safdg was not found on this server."

If I click on the NAS icon in W10 File Manager, it displays a general directory tree and I can access photos and music files that are not in secured folders under a specific user.  That directory tree includes the one user folder which I typically use on this PC.  However, when I click on that username folder, I get this Win 10 (not browser) File Manager error 

"Windows cannot access \\NAS\Me  You do not have permission to access \\NAS\Me.  Contact your network admin to request access"

A few more, hopefully unrelated, details here in case they matter.

- NAS is plugged into my Verizon router. ( I had also tried it physically in my offfice plugged into the POE wall deivce which has two ports and the other is where my PC is connected).

- PC is plugged in to POE  as I have no cabling available and wireless is slower.

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@MCDelaware wrote:

When I now type IP address/username for the NAS (http://192.168.1.175) it opens a web browser panel in Windows 10 as if I'm looking for an external device. That is a new oddity.

No, that has always worked that way.  If you are using file explorer, you need to use \\192.168.1.175 (note the different slash).

As I said earlier, I suggest using the IP address instead of NAS for now.

Message 5 of 12
MCDelaware
Tutor

I remain unable to get consistent positive results.

I can get in on occassion after a reboot of Windows but only wirth admin account.

Do I need to reboot after every unique account attempt or does the CMD line given earlier eliminate that step?

This NAS is a rather expensive paperweight and patience tester 😞

FYI - I received a Windows 10 update two days ago but I dont see any impact with this issue.

Message 6 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

I believe that my NAS is sometimes too slow for Windows and it gives me an error message on the first attempt to access a NAS share after a Windows re-boot.  But subsequent attempts on a different share will work, and that makes the original one work as well.  If you just try the same share twice, I don't think Windows actually re-tries.  I had a power outage too long for my UPS and was reminded of this just today, since I rarely re-boot anything except when needed for updates.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@MCDelaware wrote:

Do I need to reboot after every unique account attempt or does the CMD line given earlier eliminate that step?

net use * /delete /y

will normally clear out any earlier attempts.

@MCDelaware wrote:

I remain unable to get consistent positive results.

Are you using the NAS hostname?  Or is this with the IP address?  There could also be an issue with name resolution, so I suggest starting with just the IP address until you get access sorted.

Also, are you using the command

net use t: \\192.168.1.175\sharename /user:username userpassword

You might find it faster than trying with File Explorer for testing.

Message 8 of 12
MCDelaware
Tutor

I'm still STUCK trying to use ANY user name and password to get into personal directories.

I'M STILL GETTING THE SAMNE WINDOWS ERROR.

I can get into the shared folders WITH MY PERSONAL ID but not my secured folders without logging on as admin.

Im beginning to hate this expensive time consuming paperweight.

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@MCDelaware wrote:

I'm still STUCK trying to use ANY user name and password to get into personal directories.

I'M STILL GETTING THE SAMNE WINDOWS ERROR.

I can get into the shared folders WITH MY PERSONAL ID but not my secured folders without logging on as admin.

Not sure how we can help without getting more details.

Have you tried usiing the two commands I gove you earlier?

Message 10 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

I suspect that you have always had something configured wrong, but also has anonymous access turned on, so it didn't matter.  Now that Windows is cutting off anonymous access, it has become a problem.

Message 11 of 12
MCDelaware
Tutor

Ive tried a variety of things with no consistent success.

My CMD line screen grab shows both of your command sugestions and the most recent response.

However, after doing this, I went  back to Windows File Explorer, clicked on NAS, typed admin and password to get access tio the home directory and into all users from there.

Had I used a user name and password, it would likely have failed as it has in the past repeatedly.

It just seems so odd and inconsistent as I have yet to figure out where I screwed up..

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements