× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: eth0 Network Interface broken after Software Upgrade to 6.9.3

pizzaboy_75
Aspirant

eth0 Network Interface broken after Software Upgrade to 6.9.3

Hi,

after updating my RN202 to Version 6.9.3, the network interface eth0 seems to be broken, it does not pick up a link (no led) and is greyed out in the admin interface.

eth1 still works as expected. I tried shutting down / rebooting several times.

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 1 of 23
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pizzaboy_75,

Welcome to the Community!

It may be best if you contact support so they can do a hardware check if it is the NIC that stopped working.

Regards,

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 23
pizzaboy_75
Aspirant

Yes but I highly doubt this is a hardware failure since it happened directly after upgrading the firmware.

Message 3 of 23
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you for the information, we'll look into this soon. 

Message 4 of 23
mdirvin
Aspirant

I also had an interface problem after updating to 6.9.3, different than yours.  In my case the computer started locking up during a file transfer, I had to reboot the NAS, and computer.  Many times until the light went on.  Even though I'm on a mac I was using SMB.  I switched over to AFP service and the problem went away.  I'm on a iMac Pro with a 10Gb port, I'm sure that has something to do with it.  My wifes iMac with a 1Gb port is not having a problem.

Mike

Message 5 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@mdirvin wrote:

I also had an interface problem after updating to 6.9.3, different than yours.  In my case the computer started locking up during a file transfer, I had to reboot the NAS, and computer.  Many times until the light went on.  Even though I'm on a mac I was using SMB.  I switched over to AFP service and the problem went away.  I'm on a iMac Pro with a 10Gb port, I'm sure that has something to do with it.  My wifes iMac with a 1Gb port is not having a problem.

What NAS model do you have?  Is the NAS also using 10GBASE-T, or is is using normal gigabit?

Message 6 of 23
mdirvin
Aspirant

I am in a home setting using a 526X as my primary storage, and a 524X as a backup.  I have 10BASE-T connection (iMac Pro) through a netgear XS505M switch.  My wife is connected to the 524X with a 1GB (iMac) connection for a backup.  First off I know Apple is having some issues with SMB on the 10GB port for the iMac Pro.  Supposedly this will be corrected with the mac osx 10.13.4 update.  Something did change with 6.9.3 update.  I had been using SMB for 3 months without any problem, then the day of the update I started to have problems.  It could very well be an Apple issue that was brought out with the 6.9.3 update.  Turning on the AFP service and connecting the iMac Pro using AFP  solved the problem, my wife is still using SMB service on the 524X with no issues.  I prefer SMB since AFP is a legacy service no longer being developed or supported by Apple.  My plan is to wait until after the next mac osx update, then switch back to SMB. The problem I had was transferring a large folder if images ( 300-400GB, 20,000 images) in the background as I was doing other things.  All at once the  computer would lock up freezing all the open windows, and menus.  I could move the mouse around but couldn't change anything.  Each time I would re-boot both the computer and 526X, delete what had been copied over to the NAS unit since I didn't know what had been copied before being interrupted then started the copy over again.  I upgraded to 6.9.3 early in the morning, I experienced the problem late in the afternoon.  I took a few cycles before I mentally made the connect between the two.

MIke

Model: RN526X| ReadyNAS 526X 6-Bay with up to 60TB total storage
Message 7 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A Mac with built-in 10GBASE-T port, nice! I wish the MBP had 10G ports built-in (the MBP is too thin now to have a built-in 10GBASE-T port).

The iMac Pro is way over my budget.

Message 8 of 23
Mete0
Aspirant

Have some problems with not working nic on R214 after update to 6.9.3.

Try solve problem:

- restart nas;

- plug&unplag cable;

- chage switch port, connect direct to PC;

- downgrade firmware to 6.9.2;

- reset to factory default.

Nothing help.

Part from dmesg log http://klikr.org/7ce615ee9e9b9aebefc149c6f236.txt

"[ 4.487497] al_eth_1 mdio read failed on error. phy_addr 0x5 reg 0x2"

Message 9 of 23
pizzaboy_75
Aspirant

My log seems similar:

[Wed Mar 14 18:47:15 2018]  al_eth_0 mdio read failed on error. phy_addr 0x4 reg 0x3
[Wed Mar 14 18:47:15 2018]  al_eth_0 mdio read failed on error. phy_addr 0x4 reg 0x3
[Wed Mar 14 18:47:15 2018] al_eth 0000:00:01.0 eth0: MDIO read failed on timeout
[Wed Mar 14 18:47:15 2018] libphy: al mdio bus: probed
[Wed Mar 14 18:47:15 2018] al_eth 0000:00:01.0 eth0: No PHY devices
[Wed Mar 14 18:47:15 2018] al_eth 0000:00:01.0 eth0: failed at mdiobus setup!
[Wed Mar 14 18:47:15 2018] al_eth 0000:00:01.0 eth0: al_eth_down

Already tried reinstalling the update manually and a OS-Reinstall from Boot Menu. eth0 seems dead. 

Message 10 of 23
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pizzaboy_75, @Mete0

Can you provide the complete system logs of the NAS? You may upload it to a file sharing site and then PM me the download link.

Regards,

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 23
pizzaboy_75
Aspirant

I have already enabled the SDM. One of your staff named B_L asked me to via Private Mail. 

I did not hear back frpm him...

Message 12 of 23
KaCSa
Aspirant

Hi,

After updating my RN214 to version 6.9.3 (readynas 6.9.2 => 6.9.3), the network interface eth0 seems to be broken, it does not pick up a link (no led) and is greyed out in the admin interface. After nas shutdown the LCD display will show do_exit+9ec. After the NAS has started, there are many cases where there is no connection to eth1 and the "NO IP ADDRESS" appears on the LCD.

I've already tried:
  1. restart us
  2. plug & play cable
  3. change switch port, connect directly to PC
  4. downgrade firmware to 6.9.2
  5. os reinstall (boot menu)
  6. reset to factory default
Nothing help 😞

dmesg log: http://dev.a-soft.hu/dia-nas/dmesg.log.txt

Thanks for the help!
Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 13 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

KaCSa please open a support case and let me know the case number.
Message 14 of 23
KaCSa
Aspirant

Where do I find it? I do not know the system. Can I ask for step-by-step instructions?
Message 15 of 23
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Go to my.netgear.com or go to www.netgear.com/support and fill out the Contact Us form. Please let me know the case number that is created.

Message 16 of 23
KaCSa
Aspirant

Hi,

Thx for help!
Case number: 29907549
Message 17 of 23
KaCSa
Aspirant

Hi,

I have this mistake!
Did you manage to solve it?
Thanks for the answer!
Message 18 of 23
Hardy_S
Aspirant

Betreff: eth0 Network Interface broken after Software Upgrade to 6.9.3

I have the same Issues after Updating to 9.6.3, System worked fine with 6.9.2 before

NAS Shows "No IP Address" and there is NO active Link shown at any Ethernet Port.

So i have all the Ethernet Ports without funktion?

- bootet several times

- switched ethernet ports

- tried different switches

- connected directly to pc

- reinstalled OS

Nothing worked so far.

Opened a Support Case 30060766

It wasn't the first time this happened to me during an update! Last time i had to reset to factory default ...

I hope there is another way to solve this problem.

Message 19 of 23
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI @pizzaboy_75 @Hardy_S @Mete0 @mdirvin @KaCSa

Issues with the RN200/RN210 series with NICs not working was due to the NICs getting hot disabling the port. 

Engineers are still debugging for a software resolution if possible. The current workaround would be to turn off the NAS for a few minutes so as to cool down the NICs and boot the NAS back and it should work back to normal operation.

If anyone are still having issues with the RN200/RN210 NICs please update us if this helped resolved the issue.

Regards

Message 20 of 23
Hardy_S
Aspirant

Ok, this worked for
me. I had my device down for a few days after nothing really resolved the problem.
Turning it back on it had an IP from DHCP
I hope the devs can fix it with a software update
Message 21 of 23
Stokersson2
Aspirant

In May update to 6.9.3 - No Ethernet ports - No LED's.  Eventually after much alternate trials I gave up and turned the power off.  Next day I went to try the USB recovery, but the unit booted normally!!!

Now its 6.9.4 and the same has happened - No IP No lights on ports - Just have to figure out how many hours!!

The question is, Is this an individual 214 or a design fault? - I am still in warranty and is it worth replacing?  My 104 is working OK and has survived both updates (3 years old).

Message 22 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@Stokersson2 wrote:

Is this an individual 214 or a design fault? - I am still in warranty and is it worth replacing?  My 104 is working OK and has survived both updates (3 years old).

There is an issue in the RN214 related to NIC port overheating, but I think that was resolved with driver changes in 6.9.4.  I'd definitely contact support if you are seeing this in your RN214.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements