× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to securely connect to ReadyNAS NV+ v2? (SSH? FTPS?)

Henkie
Aspirant

How to securely connect to ReadyNAS NV+ v2? (SSH? FTPS?)

I'm about to get a ReadyNAS NV+ v2, which I will connect to remotely most of the time (I'll put this thing at home, and access it from my office).

Therefore I would prefer to have a secure connection to my NAS, i.e. *not* regular FTP (which sends passwords in plaintext and whatnot).

Does the ReadyNAS also allow connecting through SSH, or a secure alternative to FTP like FTPS or SFTP? And if yes, does this require any special configuration or is this supported right out-of-the-box?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to securely connect to ReadyNAS NV+ v2? (SSH? FTPS?)

Here's the SSH add-on: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/arm/5.3/EnableRootSSH_1.0-arm.bin

Do pay heed to the warning:

NetGear wrote:

With the EnableRootSSH add-on, you can now remote login to the ReadyNAS RAIDiator shell as a root user. Initial password for root will be the same as the current FrontView admin password. Please keep in mind that NETGEAR may deny support if you’ve enabled root access.

Username is 'root' not 'admin' and password should be set by default to your admin password.

On Mac or Linux use the Terminal. In Mac OS X this is found under Applications > Utilities Terminal

ssh root@ip.address.of.nas

On Windows, download the free PuTTy app and use that to connect.

You can simply change the 'root' password though:

MDGM-NAS:~# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Message 2 of 8
Henkie
Aspirant

Hmm, I see. Well too bad, I'd rather not install stuff that may nullify my warranty :?

Is there any other method of connecting securely?

Or could I create other users (i.e. non root/admin) with SSH access? (or just SFTP, that's also fine)
Message 3 of 8
Henkie
Aspirant

By the way, I noticed the product comparison chart (this one: http://www.readynas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/ReadyNAS_Comparison_Home.pdf at the bottom of page 2) mentions SSH as "Optional" for all models.

Does that mean there is some way to enable SSH while keeping warranty & support?
Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

They were referring to EnableRootSSH. Installing root SSH keeps the warranty intact. If you responsibly use SSH NetGear will still provide support. They even provide paid support options for some mishaps. However if you do something rash like "rm -rf *" they can't be expected to provide any help. If you backed up your data and did a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) that would restore full software support.

It is important to remember that important data should not be trusted to a single device. RAID is not a replacement for backups. If you store important data primarily on your NAS you should backup that data regularly. See Preventing Catastrophic Data Loss
Message 5 of 8
Henkie
Aspirant

OK thanks. And yeah makes sense, if I "rm -rf" my data, they can't undo that 🙂

Is it difficult to install this EnableRootSSH add-on, and (although the name doesn't seem to indicate so) can I also create other user accounts with SSH access? Or does it have to be root?

I'm actually surprised that there isn't a method of connecting securely built-in by default. This seems pretty basic functionality to me? Or is it just uncommon that I'm planning to access my NAS remotely most of the time? (i.e. over internet, rather than local network).
Message 6 of 8
Raybot
Tutor

There's always ReadyNAS Remote ... although I found it either rather slow or rather inefficient - I've got a little Linux server (an old Atom netbook) running OpenVPN and got about 50% faster speeds (local on cable internet, remote on Wimax). Running a VPN also means all the other stuff (admin webpage, etc.) works fine (granted you could probably tunnel that through the SSH connection).
Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Most users don't want to use SSH, misuse of it can cause problems, and having it enabled by default is seen by many as a security risk. So it's not enabled by default.

On the Dashboard, click Configure, go to Add-Ons and click the + button on the far right, browse for the location you downloaded the add-on to (right click on link I gave above and select "Save target as", "Download Linked File" or similar option in your browser to download the .bin file) etc.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements