× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314: No Home Share Access

Bent82
Guide

ReadyNAS 314: No Home Share Access

Recently we purchased a 314 to replace an aging NV. I managed to use mdgm's guide to converting to a x86 ReadyNAS from Sparc, even though it wasn't written for OS6, most of the concepts worked the same, except the home directories. I am using Active Directory for our users, and our 314 is running 6.1.5 (recently factory defaulted on that firmware version, so with the new btrfs settings.) I have three users who use home directories, but I intend to use it for everyone as soon as I can figure out a backup method. I am one of the three users and am a domain admin, and the two others are regular domain users.

In order to copy info to this new readynas, on the NV I set up a backup job using rsync to push to a temporary share I set up on the 314, called homebkup. After that was complete, I set up three backup jobs on the 314 to copy all the data out of the user's folder in the homebkup share to that user's home share. When it was complete, I was unable to manipulate my files in my home share, I only could read them. Netgear was absolutely no help in their live chat support, so what I did was copied all the data from my home share using the main administrator account for our domain, which I then used my user account to put back on. Everything works great and I can read and write my files. But trying to use this same method for the other two users doesn't work at all, even in a blank home directory with no files, they have no write permission. Other domain users that weren't using home directories before work fine. Is there something I can do to reset the home directory permissions for these users on a 314?
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 314: No Home Share Access

Maybe go in with ssh.
Message 2 of 5
Bent82
Guide

I could probably manage that, but I am unsure of what to do once I get in. Should I remove the directoy? chmod it somehow?Where in the filesystem are the home directories located now? Thanks.
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

chmod is likely what you need (chown may be needed too).

The root folder is just \home

On my system, each user share is owned by the user, and the share itself has read, write, and execute for the owner, and no access otherwise (chmod 0700).
Message 4 of 5
Bent82
Guide

I enabled ssh and managed to get the owners and permissions changed, and everything is working now. Interestingly, my home directory already had the correct owner and permissions set, maybe since I had browsed to the path before running the backup job and the folder was already created? Either way, the other two were owned by root. They are now set correctly. Thank you for your help StephenB!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements