× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

UPS keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

jhyland
Tutor

UPS keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

My UPS is connected by USB cable to my readynas RN104. I regularly get the message: Error communicating with UPS UPS (). Then I usually get a message shortly after: Communication with UPS UPS () is OK.
This happens several times a week.
Im using version 6.5.0 but also had this issue on previous versions. I have tried using different usb ports on the Readynas.  

My UPS is Manufacturer: APC, Model: Back-UPS ES 600G,

An example of the log entries I see are:

Tue May 24 2016 4:19:15 System: Communication with UPS 'UPS' () is OK.
Tue May 24 2016 4:19:06 System: Error communicating with UPS 'UPS' ().

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

Re: UPS keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

I also tried using a different usb cable to connect the UPS to the ReadyNas and am still having the same issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jhyland,

Kindly send us the logs so we can have a look. Also, could you tell us if you have tried another UPS?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

Hi Brian - I have tried a different USB cable and tried using different USB ports on the readynas and I get the same result.  I've plugged the UPS into a laptop and the APC Powerchute does not find any issues with the UPS.  Unfortunately, I do not have another UPS to try.  What is the best way to send you the logs?  I'm not sure I want to post them publicly (not sure if they contain private or sensitive data).

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jhyland,

Here's the article on how to send the logs to NETGEAR. For now, isolating the problem is what we can do since not all UPS devices are supported by the system. Give us ample time to check on your logs and see what we can find.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

Thanks.  I've emailed the logs.

Message 6 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

Hi,

Just checking in.  I think I've given you ample time to look at this.  I am still having the issue.  What is the status?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Message 7 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

Still need the help.  Any advice?

Message 8 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It seems BrianL didn't get your logs.

There could be a problem with the UPS. Have you tried connecting the UPS to another device e.g. your PC to see if monitoring works fine with that?

Message 9 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

Thanks for the update.  I just resent the logs.  I hope they help.  I have not connected the UPS to my PC (or another device) yet.  I haven't found a maintenance window yet where I can bring down the NAS and the router and switch that are connected to it.  That would bring down the whole network.  Let's see if the logs provide any insight.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@jhyland wrote:

I have not connected the UPS to my PC (or another device) yet.  I haven't found a maintenance window yet where I can bring down the NAS and the router and switch that are connected to it.  That would bring down the whole network. 

You don't need to change your power connections.  All you really need to do is move the USB connection - which won't bring down anything.

Message 11 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

Thanks.  That's a good idea.  I'm going to have to find a laptop I can put near the UPS and NAS. They are in a separate area from my desktop.  Any insight from the logs?

Message 12 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a USB disk connected to the NAS as well?

Do you still have the problem if the only USB device connected is the UPS?

Message 13 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

I do have a USB disk connected also.  I use that for backups.  I disconnected it for 12 hours for a test.  Only the UPS was plugged in to a USB port on the NAS.  The UPS still disconnected and reconnected itself 3 times durning that period.  (I don't know if this is related, but the USB disk will disconnect itself, but that only happens every couple weeks).

Thanks.

Message 14 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try disabling disk spin-down and see if you still have the issue?

Message 15 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

I have been running with the disk spin down feature disabled for several days now.  I have not had the ups disconnection error during this time.  I have had the USB disk disconnect though.  How do I get both of the USB devices to stay connected while I am using the spin down feature?

Message 16 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

Hi, Any update on this issue?  I'd like to be able to use the disk spin down feature.

Thanks.

Message 17 of 21
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jhyland,

Did you already update to 6.5.2? ReadyNAS OS 6 Software Version 6.6.0 is also already available.

Regards,

Message 18 of 21
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jhyland,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 19 of 21
jhyland
Tutor

Thank you.  The latest version of the firmware 6.6 resolved the ups connecting/disconnecting issue.

Message 20 of 21
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jhyland,

Thanks for confirming the new FW resolved the issue.

We encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements