× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: how can I bring back exported disk?

DimitriosCh
Aspirant

how can I bring back exported disk?

I accidentally exported my 2 4tb disks of RN102 running RAID 1. How can I bring them back, to the same exactly setup, without losing any data? 

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

Hello

I have contacted the Netgear support. Somehow the EXPORT option messed the config files.

They did for me a reinstallation of os through telnet, and everything came back to normal.

Thank you very much for your help in here, and deffinetely QH and the other persons  in the support!

Cheers 

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 23

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DimitriosCh,

Welcome to the community!

The volume will be currently inactive. The best thing to do here is contact our support team and raise your ticket to one of our Engineers.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 23
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

Hi Brian_L

isn't there any documentation regarding exporting and importing volumes on RN 102?

The ReadyNAS OS 6.4 Software Manual provides very little, only on how to export a volume, without any particular mention that will actually freeze everyhting.

Kind regards,

DimitrisCh 

Message 3 of 23
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DimitriosCh,

We have already requested for an article about exporting volume to be posted on KB server.

Unfortunately, there is no import option, you may need to restart the NAS and recreate the volume and manually copy files over, or create a backup job.

Regards,
Message 4 of 23
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

Hello Jennc,

I don't really get the use of an export option if this is just like deleting.

In any case, since one disk was the mirror of the other and there is no other backup, is there any way to retrieve the data from such a disk?

I don't think they have been erased, because it didn't last long the exporting procedure. Any recovery possible?

Thanks!

DimitriosCh 

Message 5 of 23
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DimitriosCh,

That is use if you have multiple volumes on one ReadyNAS and if you want to move one of them to a new ReadyNAS

If it was not successful you should still be able to see your volume in the NAS and access it. 

Where did you export the volume?

Regards,

Message 6 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@JennC wrote:

If it was not successful you should still be able to see your volume in the NAS and access it. 

I am thinking the problem is that it was successful, and that he didn't mean to do it.

The 6.4 software manual describes "export", but leaves off instructions on how to import (or how to recover from a mistaken export).

This is not the first time someone has made this mistake - it would be very helpful to have the rest of the story posted here until the KB article comes on-line.

FWIW, if there is no way to recover, then the feature should be grayed out until it does something useful.

Message 7 of 23
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

you are 100% correct!

Since the two disks in RN 102 were mirrored, I thought that by exporting one of them, I could copy him through one external cradle to a third disk.

But the export button recognises both of them as ONE VOLUME, and kills both of them instantly.

Then they can only be reformatted to be used, anywhere. 

Message 8 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@DimitriosCh wrote:

Hi StephenB,

you are 100% correct!

Since the two disks in RN 102 were mirrored, I thought that by exporting one of them, I could copy him through one external cradle to a third disk.

But the export button recognises both of them as ONE VOLUME, and kills both of them instantly.

Then they can only be reformatted to be used, anywhere. 

What you actually wanted to do was back up the volume to the USB drive - which is done on the back-up job menu.

You export volumes not disks.  From the description in the software manual, the idea is that you can export a volume from one OS 6 system, so you can import/remount it on another system. But either half the instructions are left out, or the feature was never finished.

I've PM'd someone in development, so hopefully one of them will respond with a procedure to undo the export.

Message 9 of 23
StephenB
Guru

I heard back - rebooting the NAS should resolve this.

So try a restart from the web admin ui (leaving all drives in place, etc.).

Message 10 of 23
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DimitriosCh,

As per JennC, we would like to know if were you able to reboot the unit and check if the became online again? We are working on a better user manual that also includes the features that were added in the latest Firmware 6.4.1.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 23
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DimitriosCh,

Our 6.4 user manual has been updated with much detailed information about Volume Export. Please have a look 🙂

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@BrianL2 wrote:

Our 6.4 user manual has been updated with much detailed information about Volume Export. Please have a look 🙂

I paraphrased this earlier.  It only tells half the story - it leaves out what you do after you've successfully exported.  And in this case, what you do if the export was a mistake.

Message 13 of 23
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

Hi BrianL,

I have tried to reboot in both normal and read-only modes but stil in my Admin page I get the message under the buttons panes

" Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk  1, 2" 

when I go into system> volumes

both disks appear red on the rn102 box and they only have the option to balance or destroy.      

When clicked Format button on the right gets active under the x-raid.

when I go into shares> 

I got the pop up window "No volumes exist. NETGEAR recommends that you create a volume before configuring others......"

Then when trying to connect to READYNAS through LAN on my MAC it's impossible 

Message 14 of 23
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DimitriosCh,

I replicated this on my end and here are the steps I did:

1. Turned off the unit and removed the drives(label or mark them). 

2. After 5 mins, I re-inserted the drives in the same order and booted the unit normally. 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 23
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

Hi BrianL,

I have never taken out both of them, will do that asap... 

Thanks!

Message 16 of 23
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

I shut it down and took both disks out.

Then reinserted them and then switched power on. The situation is exactly the same as before, no volume mounted.

Switched it of and  back on from admin panel, still NOTHING happens. 

Message 17 of 23
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DimitriosCh,

It seems odd. Contact support and report this problem that you've encountered.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 23
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

Hi BrianL,

so the normal thing after the export operation (which I accidentaly initiated), would be the disks geting inside the RN and being 100% functional with all the data and same shares?

Thanks 

Message 19 of 23
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DimitriosCh,

Rebooting the NAS should import the volume.

If that does not work, contact support center as it may need to examined and fixed by a higher tier.

Regards,

Message 20 of 23
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

Hello JennC,

Normal booting doesn't change anything on my status.

I will contact support center.

Thank you very much,

DimitrisCh

Message 21 of 23
DimitriosCh
Aspirant

Hello

I have contacted the Netgear support. Somehow the EXPORT option messed the config files.

They did for me a reinstallation of os through telnet, and everything came back to normal.

Thank you very much for your help in here, and deffinetely QH and the other persons  in the support!

Cheers 

Message 22 of 23
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DimitriosCh,

You are most welcome! We normally refer issues like yours to support team when it needs to be fixed through the back end already.

Please feel free to post any comments, suggestions, inquiries and recommendations, etc.

We appreciate all your contributions to the community.

Regards,

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements