× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: snmp issue with 6.6.0

a-j-m
Tutor

snmp issue with 6.6.0

Since upgrading to 6.6.0 I'm no longer able to monitor disk usage using snmp. I've been using cacti to graph my 312 for the last 2 years.

The system disk and the two disk in the NAS no longer appear when I query the device. With snmpwalk I still see swap, memory etc but not the physical disks.

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.1 = STRING: Physical memory

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.3 = STRING: Virtual memory

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.6 = STRING: Memory buffers

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.7 = STRING: Cached memory

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.8 = STRING: Shared memory

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.10 = STRING: Swap space

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.36 = STRING: /dev/shm

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.37 = STRING: /run

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.38 = STRING: /run/lock

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.39 = STRING: /sys/fs/cgroup

I've tried adding the disks to snmpd.conf and restart but I can't see them.

disk / 5%

includeAllDisks 5%

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 17
groupehnct
Aspirant

Re : snmp issue with 6.6.0

We have exactly the same problem. No more possible monitoring of the disk space since 6.6.0

Message 2 of 17
bedlam1
Prodigy

Message 3 of 17
groupehnct
Aspirant

The application we're using is "The Dude" from Mikrotik.

We were using in the past functions using "oids" to calculate for instance the total size available in Go for our ReadyNas 3130 : round((oid("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.5.36")*oid("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.4.36"))/(1024*1024*1024)).

Since release 6.6.0, it looks like no more oid correspond to the disk and we are no more able to use the functions to monitor the Size available, the used size, etc.

Message 4 of 17
aaron_gc
Initiate

There is something strange going on here. I have given Netgear the benfit of doubt and loaded the MIB file that came with the 6.6.0 firmware update.

After executing snmpwalk -c **** -v2c -m "READYNASOS-MIB.txt" ip_address_of_netgear I still was only able to see the following paths

RFC1213-MIB::mib-2.25.2.3.1.3.33 = STRING: "/"
RFC1213-MIB::mib-2.25.2.3.1.3.36 = STRING: "/dev/shm"
RFC1213-MIB::mib-2.25.2.3.1.3.37 = STRING: "/run"
RFC1213-MIB::mib-2.25.2.3.1.3.38 = STRING: "/run/lock"
RFC1213-MIB::mib-2.25.2.3.1.3.39 = STRING: "/sys/fs/cgroup"
RFC1213-MIB::mib-2.25.2.3.1.3.56 = STRING: "/media/USB_HDD_5"
RFC1213-MIB::mib-2.25.2.3.1.3.57 = STRING: "/run/nfs4/media/USB_HDD_5"

This aligns with a standard SNMP Walk without the MIB File 

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.1 = STRING: Physical memory
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.3 = STRING: Virtual memory
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.6 = STRING: Memory buffers
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.7 = STRING: Cached memory
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.8 = STRING: Shared memory
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.10 = STRING: Swap space
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.33 = STRING: /
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.36 = STRING: /dev/shm
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.37 = STRING: /run
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.38 = STRING: /run/lock
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.39 = STRING: /sys/fs/cgroup
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.56 = STRING: /media/USB_HDD_5
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageDescr.57 = STRING: /run/nfs4/media/USB_HDD_5

I have attached 3 USB Storage Devices which I can see only 1 and I'm also missing the main Partion on the RAID

I'm not sure if this is deliberate to prevent NMS from accessing the appropriate data, but there has certainly been a change or introduced bug

Message 5 of 17
aaron_gc
Initiate

How to use SSH to monitor your Netgear NAS

For full disclosure, I'm a PreSales Engineer for Paessler AG in the APAC region. Paessler develops a Network Monitoring Solution called PRTG Network Monitor - https://www.paessler.com/

You can download the trial version, which converts to a 100 Sensor Freeware version after 30 days (100 sensors @ 10 devices).

I was able to see all me disks by using the SSH Disk Free Sensor - https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/ssh_disk_free_sensor as illustrated below; (you will need to ensure that SSH is enables on the NAS)

PRTG SSH Disk Free Sensor

Hopefully this will be a work around until the missing OIDs have been returned.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 6 of 17
iany
Guide

+1 here.

my array is not visible in neither Observium, nor plain snmpwalk...

given the fact I upgraded to 6.6.0 solely to be able to configure SNMP location, I'm really impressed by the fact that I lost the most important functionality in return to this capability...

Message 7 of 17
a-j-m
Tutor

Done a bit more digging, Readynas 6.5.2 to 6.6.0 included an upgrade to Debian 8, Jessie. The snmpd version shipping with debian Jessie dropped support for btrfs file systems, this is a bug and has been fixed. There is a fix in later versions of snmpd 5.7.3+, currently installed 5.7.2.1+dfsg-1

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-net-snmp-devel/2015-December/001680.html

https://sourceforge.net/p/net-snmp/bugs/2502/

It'll probably just work when they upgrade to Stretch, but that's probably going to be a while. Between now and then we'll have to hope that snmpd is upgraded in a Readynas update.

Message 8 of 17
a-j-m
Tutor

I've fixed this on my NAS, used some of my spare time over the holidays.

I built a Debian Jessie VM (amd64) and then followed the build instructions here to rebuild snmpd

https://wiki.debian.org/SNMP

apt-get build-dep snmpd

cd /usr/src

apt-get source libsnmp-base libsnmp5 snmpd

edits as below then

debian/rules binary

Used the source patch here to edit the source

https://sourceforge.net/p/net-snmp/bugs/2502/

edited the debian/rules to add --enable-ipv6 as it was building without IPv6 support for some reason.

Copied the .deb files to my nas and installed (dpkg -i ...) it's all working fine now and I don't seem to have broken anything.

libsnmp30_5.7.2.1+dfsg-1_amd64.deb

snmpd_5.7.2.1+dfsg-1_amd64.deb

snmpwalk results for before and after patch as closely as I'd expect and I can see the btrfs data now.

All my data is backed up elsewhere, I suggest you do the same before trying this.

Message 9 of 17
iany
Guide

good job.

i was thinking about the same, but my RN10400 has an ARM CPU and i've got only a couple of Raspberry Pis. but it'd be easier than cross-compiling. maybe i'll give it a try on my only R-Pi 2 if i have some time in January...

ironically, i've bought this NAS in order NOT to have to customize ANYTHING and have simple wizards for EVERYTHING. the idea was that it'll all work out of the box.

i'd be able to solve this problem on my old MacMini 2006 (750 GB HDD + openSUSE 13.2 serving files using NFS & CIFS) or HP Microserver Gen8 (4x 4 TB in RAID 5 + CentOS 6 serving files using NFS & CIFS + virtualBox etc.) in a couple of minutes. maybe i should have bought another Microserver and load NAS4Free onto it 😞

Message 10 of 17
iany
Guide

v.6.6.1 has been released yesterday. no SNMP thing is mentioned in its release notes...

Message 11 of 17
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

There are updated packages in our repository, so you can run `apt-get install libsnmp30` to fix this.

Message 12 of 17
a-j-m
Tutor

Thanks. Working as expected with the updated versions. 

Message 13 of 17
iany
Guide

excuse me, Skywalker, but were you referring to x86/amd64 repositories?

because I'm afraid it's still not working on my ARM-based RN104.

actually there were no new packages, so I just forced reinstall of the original version and still no joy...

Message 14 of 17
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

The ARM packages are definitely there.  Perhaps you are not running 6.6.1?

Message 15 of 17
iany
Guide

hi Skywalker,

yes, you've nailed it!

I upgraded to 6.6.1 and run `apt-get install libsnmp-base libsnmp30 snmpd` and my monitoring is drawing all the lines again.

for the sake of completeness, there were some errors during the update, but they were harmless, I'd say:-

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 76.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
debconf: (Can't locate Term/ReadLine.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Term::ReadLine module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/perl/5.20.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueab
i/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Readline.pm line 7.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype

so thanks for all the fish 🙂

Message 16 of 17
a-j-m
Tutor

Now fixed in ReadyNASOS 6.7.0-T180 (Beta 3). It's working perfectly.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements