Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN With iPhone :( Anyone got it to work?

PaonQC
Aspirant

VPN With iPhone :( Anyone got it to work?

Hi everyone,

I am begining to lose hope :(:( I am desperately trying to configure my FVS336Gv2 with my iPhone4 v4.2.1.

I began by installing the beta firmware 3.0.7-24
I configured the mode config and the exchange mode to Main
The tunnel is UP but I can't ping the other side :confused:

** Network configuration:
Ip lan:
Range 192.168.1.0/24
IPlan FVS336Gv2: 192.168.0.254
IpWan FVS336Gv2: 192.168.1.2
IP CBVG834G: 192.168.1.1 =. DHCP + port 500TCP + UDP redirected to the WAN IP of the FVS336Gv2

Configuration fvs336gv2:
WAN1 Configuration
WAN Mode: Single Port
WAN State: UP
NAT: Disabled
Connection Type: Static IP
Connection State: Connected
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 89.2.0.1
Secondary DNS: 89.2.0.2

I can connect my Netgear Router to shrewvpn which works fine, meaning there is no issue with the port forwarding configuration.

I called the support who sent me a document, I followed did but no luck
They sent me another beta firmware version 3.0.7-32 but doesn't work any better
I went to "Security" :: "Firewall" :: "Attack Checks" and checked the option "Respond to Ping on Internet Ports".

I created a new user for VPN IPSEC

FYI: I try connecting with 3G and with WIFI 😞

Any suggestions before I give up hope? Anyone got it to work ever 😞

Thanks in advance for you help
Message 1 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: VPN With iPhone :( Anyone got it to work?

unless you can reach remote management from outside your network via laptop, your WAN needs public IP on fvs before any
Message 2 of 18
PaonQC
Aspirant

I can connect with shrewvpn
Message 3 of 18
ehlfg
Aspirant

I just set up my FVS338 with my iPhone 4.2.8 and iPad 4.3.3. Both work.

I initially used the instructions in the document referenced in various forum posts here, but I had to make two changes:

- On the iOS device, specify a group name in the VPN configuration. It doesn't seem to matter what the name is, as long as the group name is not blank.

- On the FVS338, change the IKE policy from main to aggressive.

My FVS338 does have a static IP address, though.
Message 4 of 18
PaonQC
Aspirant

ehlfg wrote:
I just set up my FVS338 with my iPhone 4.2.8 and iPad 4.3.3. Both work.

I initially used the instructions in the document referenced in various forum posts here, but I had to make two changes:

- On the iOS device, specify a group name in the VPN configuration. It doesn't seem to matter what the name is, as long as the group name is not blank.

- On the FVS338, change the IKE policy from main to aggressive.

My FVS338 does have a static IP address, though.
Sorry but I don't completely understand concerning the part where I should specify a group name on my iPhone

and when I change the exchange mode to aggressive I can't connect at all 😞
Message 5 of 18
ehlfg
Aspirant

PaonQC wrote:
Sorry but I don't completely understand concerning the part where I should specify a group name on my iPhone

and when I change the exchange mode to aggressive I can't connect at all 😞

In the iOS VPN configuration (Settings->General->Network->VPN->YOUR_VPN_CONFIGURATION), there are seven fields to fill out:

Enter the group name in the Group Name field. The username and password on the iOS VPN configuration should match a VPN user configured on your Netgear.

I only have experience with a FVS338 running 3.0.7-24. I don't know about any other devices or firmware versions.
Message 6 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

all prosafe router has same interface for 336G or 338 it's the same with maybe just mode(main or aggressive)
Message 7 of 18
PaonQC
Aspirant

Thanks, but still no luck:(

When I try to type something in front of group name, i get a message that the VPN server is unreachable. however, once i remove the group name, i can connect again, but still no access or ping

do you think it is the router or the iphone? what can i do?

Thanks again
Message 8 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

depends on type of connection you are using
Message 9 of 18
PaonQC
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
depends on type of connection you are using
I tried 3G and WIFI if thats wht u mean
Message 10 of 18
PaonQC
Aspirant

Help... anyone... please :(:(
Message 11 of 18
xeo2002
Novice

hmm I have same problem my friend , and looks like NETGEAR and all "fanatics" have no idea how to solve that problem , in my opinion there is something about a money and certifictes between : CISCO (Iphone Cisco IPSec client)Netgear, nad Apple of course.I know it form my friends working for.......leaks:) it is just hopeless for now, we need to wait and stop listetning all those "GREAT IDEAS AND SOLUTIONS" which are physically not working at all.sorry for that.
Message 12 of 18
xeo2002
Novice

I am using 3G , Wifi and still , I have Public IP adress , do you know the solution (yes/no) ?
Message 13 of 18
SteveEvans
Aspirant

iPhone VPN used to work for me talking to an FVS338 running 3.0.7-24 having followed the guide at http://vpncasestudy.com/download/usefuldoc/ipsec_with_Iphone.pdf.

A while ago I noticed that the VPN was no longer working; I got to login and the VPN appeared to connect, but no traffic would pass. I suspect it may have been caused by an iPhone update. I'm now running version 5.1.1 (9B206).

Anyway, I've found a fix!

In the VPN configuration on the iPhone I set the Group Name to be non-blank (I'm using iPhone).

I then found the message "[FVS338] [IKE] Aggressive mode of (invalid)[(invalid)] is not acceptable._" in the VPN log on the FVS338, so I changed the IKE Policy Exchange Mode to "Aggressive", rather than the "Main" specified in the setup guide.

It now works!

Steve
Message 14 of 18
tildentech
Aspirant

SteveEvans wrote:
iPhone VPN used to work for me talking to an FVS338 running 3.0.7-24 having followed the guide at http://vpncasestudy.com/download/usefuldoc/ipsec_with_Iphone.pdf.

A while ago I noticed that the VPN was no longer working; I got to login and the VPN appeared to connect, but no traffic would pass. I suspect it may have been caused by an iPhone update. I'm now running version 5.1.1 (9B206).

Anyway, I've found a fix!

In the VPN configuration on the iPhone I set the Group Name to be non-blank (I'm using iPhone).

I then found the message "[FVS338] [IKE] Aggressive mode of (invalid)[(invalid)] is not acceptable._" in the VPN log on the FVS338, so I changed the IKE Policy Exchange Mode to "Aggressive", rather than the "Main" specified in the setup guide.

It now works!

Steve

STEVE, your solution ended many frustrating hours of dealing with Netgear's paid support....demanding firmware updates and endless port forwarding changes. Thank you for posting this fix. In my case the Policy Exchange Mode had to be set to Aggressive, but as you pointed out, the value of "Group Name" field on the iOS device can be anything. Thanks!!!
Message 15 of 18
SteveEvans
Aspirant

Great to hear it's working for others!

Steve
Message 16 of 18
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Hello to All,

Just want to share this article: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9O3wjhsh_M4SldiMHNIQWNUTlk/view

I found the article above from this forum thread: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=93495

I am not an iPhone user but hope it would help 🙂
Message 17 of 18
vpnman
Guide

FYI - IPSec VPN works between Netgear FVS336Gv3 (likely v2 too) and iPhone6 with iOS 8.x.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements