× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6210 USB Adapter slow internet speed

3s1k
Tutor

A6210 USB Adapter slow internet speed

My Window's 10 Dell desktop had a 2.4ghz Wireless N which was pretty slow. I would get 15mbps down and 25mpbs up on a my 1gig internet connection.

I decided to buy a Netgear a6210 since i'm using a Netgear r7000 AC router. Per recommendation on the forum I uninsalled the Software package/driver and installed the standalone drivers and went into services and disabled NetgearUSB service to make sure it wouldn't switch to USB2.0 speeds. It is plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

When I run a speed test from 3 different websites I consistenly get the same speed, 15mpbs down and 50mpbs up on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. The stock wireless N card on 2.4ghz was giving me 15mpbs down and 25mpbs up. Shouldn't the speed be a lot faster?

My Samsung Note 8 on the 5ghz network speed test I'm getting 250mpbs down and 50mpbs up. My Apple TV which is hardwired to my Netgear R7000 router is giving me 450mpbs down and 50mpbs up.

I'm not sure what to troubleshoot next and I'm leaning towards just returning it to Best Buy with these kinds of speeds.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 5
3s1k
Tutor

Re: A6210 USB Adapter slow internet speed

Nobody has any suggestions?

Message 2 of 5
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi 3s1k, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Try performing the troubleshooting steps here:  

https://kb.netgear.com/24903/NETGEAR-USB-wireless-adapter-is-not-achieving-desired-speed-or-range

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 5
3s1k
Tutor

Issue is resolved. I had some weird viruses. I reinstalled the OS and now getting 250mpbs download speeds.

FYI, I did not use the netgear drivers just the Windows 10 drivers it found on own.
Message 4 of 5
3s1k
Tutor

Apparently it wasn't a virus. PC-Doctor was the app I suspected as a virus is actually part of Dell's Support Assist software.

It was working perfectly fine last night after resinstalling Windows and not even 12 hours after I reported having speeds up to 250mbps the speeds have now dropped back down to 10-15mpbs. So the issue is still unresolved. I tried all the troubleshooting steps listed above and did not help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7