× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNCE2001 inappropriately providing DHCP connections

SFD
Novice
Novice

WNCE2001 inappropriately providing DHCP connections

I have a new WNCE2001 Wireless Ethernet bridge and have successfully configured it to connect my ethernet-only printer to my home network. This morning, I was unable to get to the internet from my iPod touch. I could get to my home router, but not beyond it. The reason? The DHCP on Touch had "discovered" my home network router to be 192.168.1.251 - the broadcast address of the WNCE2001. The WNCE had assigned a an IP address to my Touch. I had to configure my Touch to explicitly use my home router instead of the WNCE2001.

Does anybody know how to configure the WNCE2001 so that it does not provide DHCP services to wireless devices in my home, but still provides the wireless connection for my ethernet printer?
Message 1 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

Re: WNCE2001 inappropriately providing DHCP connections

The WNCE2001 is also intercepting attempted wireless connections from laptop computers in my home. All seem to be redirected to 192.168.1.251. 😞
Message 2 of 59
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

This devce does not do dhcp
Message 3 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

Okaaaay, then what is the cause of the symptom I am seeing? All of my wireless devices are detecting 192.168.1.251 (the IP address of the WNCE2001) as an access point using the name of our home network. When we turned the printer and WNCE2001 off, our home router returned to being the detected WLAN server.
Message 4 of 59
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Only passthrough th traffic so I would check your setup and make sure all the LAN Subnet is same

You have back track all.

Make sure SSID name unique and you have wpa2 encryption so that you no get hacked
Message 5 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the suggestions. Is "Back Track All" a router setting? I can't find any back track setting in the WNCE2001 settings.
Message 6 of 59
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

back track ALL network setting/devices in this location

including SSID issues. make sure WCNE on correct networks, etc
Message 7 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the suggestions. Is "Back Track All" a router setting? I can't find any back track setting in the WNCE2001 settings.
Message 8 of 59
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Back track is a phrase
Message 9 of 59
fosor
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
This devce does not do dhcp

This is incorrect. The device DOES act as a DHCP server, and it appears to be a defect. When this happens, all the devices on my network, that obtain new leases, do so through the WNCE2001. This is verified in the IP information on each of the devices. In addition, the setup pages on the WNCE2001 device, specifically the Device Status page, under the LAN Port section, has the DHCP Server set to ON (where it is normally set to OFF). It appears that a reboot of the device turns it back off, but I cannot figure out what is turning it on. If anyone else is running into this - it's a real problem - call Netgear.
Message 10 of 59
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

still don't see it in manual

post screenshot

PG13 of manual

This screen shows whether the Internet adapter is set to get its IP address dynamically from
the router (this is the most common setting), or is set as a static IP address.
• Get Dynamically From Router: The wireless network router assigns an IP address
when the Internet adapter connects to its wireless network. Most networks are set up so
that the router automatically does this.
• Use Static IP Address: Specify a static IP address. This is not usually necessary. If you
set this up, you should be technically experienced or have a technically experienced
person help you.
- IP Address: The static IP address.
- IP Subnet Mask: The subnet mask associated with the IP address.
- Gateway IP Address:
- Primary DNS: The primary domain name server (DNS).
- Secondary DNS: The secondary domain name server (DNS).
Message 11 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

I am still having this problem. I would be interested in speaking to NetGear about it by voice, but there is no customer service phone number that I can find.

Here is my further insight on the problem...

I see this behavior when the bridge has been up for a few days without a "live" ethernet-wired device attached to it. It appears to me that the buit-in WNCE2001 configuration program is somehow escaping from the intended ethernet-wire-only behavior and is running amok wirelessly on my network.

My experience has been that if the WNCE2001 is up and my printer has been in "power save" mode (hibernate) or off for a few days, the bridge will start behaving like a DHCP provider. The WNCE2001 broadcasts something that bears the SSID of my home network, intercepts DHCP requests from wireless devices in my house and assigns IP addresses to the devices. (I have verified that the bridge is the problem by checking the MAC address of the device that has provided a "rogue" address to my computer.) The behavior of the WNCE2001 is different than DHCP, though. It only allocates addresses so that attached devices can configure the WNCE2001. The devices that end up connected to the WNCE2001 can access the WNCE2001 configuration program/URL and my home router, but they cannot access the internet. The documentation leads me to believe that all configuration of the WNCE2001 needs to be done through a wired connection, so I believe there is an error that leads the WNCE2001 to connect to my wireless devices.

I can find no configuration setting that allows me to prevent this wireless connection configuration behavior. The only solution has been to turn off the WNCE2001.

My WNCE2001 is currently unplugged and my home network is operating properly again. I am unlikely to use the WNCE2001 again unless a fix for this is posted. 😞 If you have a concrete recommendation, please accompany it with instructions for implementation. I still cannot figure out how to "do a back trace" on my network. I'm a home user, not a network administrator.
Message 12 of 59
tnjman
Aspirant

He was saying "back track" as a common suggestion - in other words, go back through all of your various devices and settings and make sure they are correct (i.e. "back track" or "back trace" - kind of like "going back over your tracks).

I have not yet seen this behavior, but I have downloaded a relatively recent firmware update; but I have NOT yet updated the firmware - since my device is working, I don't want to mess with it.
Message 13 of 59
AkAdam
Aspirant

I have been experiencing the same problems as SFD has mentioned with the WNCE2001. It's been pissin' me off for about a week now! I tried setting the device up manually since my Verizon Fios Actiontec doesn't support WPA yet. I'm no newbie when it comes to home networking which is why this frustrates me even more...LoL It appears that the WNCE2001 somehow acts as a wireless Access Point once in awhile. Just like SFD is attempting, I have this thing hooked up to an HP printer that has an ethernet port on the back. Once I have it all set up it works for a couple hours and then all of a sudden my wireless laptops will have no internet access and a NETGEAR page will pop up on my browser. This damn thing is hi-jacking my wireless cards! It's like an imposter outer...LoL I've hit the little reset button on the WNCE2001 multiple times and reconfigured it...but I end up with the same result time after time.

Here's my theory! If you look on the underside of the WNCE2001 there's a small platic shiny, rectangular cover that looks glued on. There is really small text below that read AP/CLIENT/RT. I bet that if I pop that little plastic peice off, there will be a tiny switch under there! And I would thing it should be set to CLIENT...but perhaps Netgear set it to AP (Access Point) by mistake. I'm a little afraid to attempt to pop off the plastic peice because I might void the warranty...but I'm getting to the point of wanting to crack it in half anywayz!
Message 14 of 59
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Here's my theory! If you look on the underside of the WNCE2001 there's a small platic shiny, rectangular cover that looks glued on. There is really small text below that read AP/CLIENT/RT. I bet that if I pop that little plastic peice off, there will be a tiny switch under there! And I would thing it should be set to CLIENT...but perhaps Netgear set it to AP (Access Point) by mistake. I'm a little afraid to attempt to pop off the plastic peice because I might void the warranty...but I'm getting to the point of wanting to crack it in half anywayz!

should be in client mode
Message 15 of 59
AkAdam
Aspirant

Well, I pryed off the little plastic thing and there was no switch under there...just a white sticker with a serial number I think. THAT SUCKS.
Message 16 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

Rats! I was really hoping that you'd found the magic formula to FIX this thing. Thanks for posting the theory and the test results.

jmizoguchi - I realize that a sample size of 3 customers having the same problem is hardly statistically significant considering the number of units sold, but it DOES indicate that this problem is NOT imaginary or the result of user error. How do I contact NETGEAR directly to get this problem properly diagnosed and resolved?
Message 17 of 59
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I have to tested myself to see but seems there is an issue I don't know 🙂
Message 18 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

Perhaps you would like me to ship you my unit so you can test with that one?
Message 19 of 59
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Na... I haven't had chance to talk to my contact see if they can send me test unit bur been busy.

I very attempting to to store and pick up one.
Message 20 of 59
oldgeezer
Aspirant

Mine's doing this too! Its connected to my Sony TV and occaisionally it will hijack my laptop which will then only go to the netgear WNCE configuration page! I look at the WNCE and can see only two of the three leds are on. (WLAN is off I think)

Did anyone find the answer? I have to unplug mine from the TV and repair the network on the laptop and then the laptop is ok again. Then plug it into the TV again.

I know nothing about computer thingys - so is it something I've done?

Thanks
Keith
Message 21 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

OldGeezer -

Based on the other posts on this thread, the problem is not the result of anything you are doing wrong. The device is not supposed to be capable of doing this. You are not the only person having this problem. There is clearly a difference between the manufacturer's intention and what really happens.

Your observations about the lights on the WNCE and your report about the fix are interesting. I've never noticed which lights were on or off when I have had this problem, but your observations seem consistent with the way this problem shows up for me. Does the problem appear only when your television has been off for a while, or does it also appear when your TV is on?

If it is not too late for you to exchange your WNCE, it might be worth your while to see if you can get a different one. This could be an occasional manufacturing defect. If you DO get a different WNCE, please post about whether the change fixes the problem.
Message 22 of 59
oldgeezer
Aspirant

I've upgraded the firmware and its not done it again for the last three days!

It may have fixed it.

Yes it was when the TV had been in standby - but now been OK for a a few days - fingers crossed.

Suggest you try the firmware upgrade and see if it does it for you too.
Message 23 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the info and recommendation. I will check for firmware update and install this weekend. I'll post my test results (either when the problem reappears, or after about a week if there are no problems).
Message 24 of 59
SFD
Novice
Novice

Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger

OldGeezer -

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post my reply. Your recommendation about updating my firmware was SPOT-ON! 😄

I had been relying on the automatic update of the firmware. When queried the WNCE2001 reported that its firmware was up-to-date. Not so. My firmware was at version 1.0.0.21. The current version is 1.0.0.26. It is apparently a known bug that the version check software does not always operate properly, but I only found out about it by looking at the WNCE2001 Firmware Version 1.0.0.25 page (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16766/kw/WNCE2001%20Firmware%20Version%201.0.0.25): New Features & Enhancements: 5. Fix “Can’t detect newer firmware version from auto firmware upgrade checking.”
I followed the instructions for manual installation of the the WNCE2001 Firmware Version 1.0.0.26 upgrade from http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17474/~/wnce2001-firmware-version-1.0.0.26 and they worked.

My NetGear WNCE2001 has now been up continuously for over 2 weeks without ONCE interfering with my network. So....

:DTIP OF THE HAT to OldGeezer:
Thank you for posting your helpful reply to this thread. In spite of your stated lack of tech savvy, you provided the correct solution to my problem.

:mad:WAG OF THE FINGER to jmizoguchi:
For shame! You are a "Senior Member" "NetGear Fanatic" and respond so quickly and consistently to posts that you appear to be the forum moderator. In spite of that, your "advice" consisted of insisting that the problem could not *possibly* be the WNCE2001 but was possibly the result of inadequate network security. Apparently unaware of known auto-update problems you never even inquired about the firmware version on the device (which turned out to be the root problem). Heck, you didn't even have access to an instance of this device, but you still insisted quoting the device specs as support for your "the WNCE2001 can't behave that way" argument. Your advice fell far short of your hype.
Perhaps you should consider adding OldGeezer's sage advice to your arsenal (except when the problem relates to installing a firmware update) - "Check your firmware version. It might require a manual update, but updating might fix your problem".
Message 25 of 59
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7