× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC 1200 Range Extender MAC book pro shows "ip address assigned automaticly" and won't connect to net

hartflush
Aspirant

AC 1200 Range Extender MAC book pro shows "ip address assigned automaticly" and won't connect to net

The set up went off without a hitch.  I can see the extender in my networl preferences, but my MAC BookPro won't connect to it.  I get an error message in the network preferences saying "ip address assigned automaticly can't connect".  I've searched the internet but can't seem to find anything that solves this problem.  I reset the extender to factory settings and started the process all over again.  Setup worked great, with the same error.  iPad also can not connect.

Model: EX6200|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Re: AC 1200 Range Extender MAC book pro shows "ip address assigned automaticly" and won't

It's not clear whether you set up the extender to connect to your router.  Did you do that, too?

Message 2 of 7
hartflush
Aspirant

Re: AC 1200 Range Extender MAC book pro shows "ip address assigned automaticly" and won't

I did.  I ran the Netgear mywifiext.net set up program.  It found the router, no problem and it created a 2G and 5G wireless connections that I can see in my network.  I can select each of them but end up with the "ip address assigned automaticly" message and no web connection.  I can still connect to the Verizon Fios router normally with no change in service.

Message 3 of 7
hartflush
Aspirant

I should have started with a big THANK YOU for the response!

Here is the message I get post set up:  "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.231.116 and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

Message 4 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Do you have access control enabled on your router?  If so, your Mac and iPad will appear as different devices when connected through the extender.

Message 5 of 7
hartflush
Aspirant

I don't know what access control is.  I've not changed any of the settings on the router.  Whatever base Fios settings it came with are unchanged.

I'm about ready to box this up and ship it back. . .

Message 6 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Access control might be called Wireless MAC Authentication on a FIOS router.  Are you using it?

If you log into your FIOS router, does it see the extender as an attached device?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series