× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC750 WiFi range extender duplicate virtual MAC addresses

JohnAus
Aspirant

AC750 WiFi range extender duplicate virtual MAC addresses

I have setup the extender to increase the range of my existing WiFi router.

The extender gives all devices that connect to the extender the same virtual MAC address. This address is the same as the virtual MAC address of the extender itself (which is the same as it's real MAC address). This means that the router sees all connected devices as having the same MAC address, meaning it cannot do filtering based on MAC addresses.

How can I get the extender to give each device a different virtual MAC address?

More info: Hardware version: EX6100v2. Firmware version: V1.0.1.76. (I did have a later firmware version via online upgrade but still had the same problem). I did a factory reset to see if it fixed the problem, but it didn't.)

Thank you.

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
JohnAus
Aspirant

Re: AC750 WiFi range extender duplicate virtual MAC addresses

Sorry, there was one mistake in what I wrote above: the virtual MAC address for the extender is not the same as it's actual MAC address (the first two characters are different).

However my original description of the main problem is correct: all connected devices are given the same virtual MAC address as the virtual MAC address of the extender itself.

Thank you.

Message 2 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello JohnAus, 

The devices that are connected to the extender, are they able to go online? Also, would you mind telling me if you have address reservation enabled on your router and the model number of your router?

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 3 of 7
JohnAus
Aspirant

Hi Christian. Thanks for replying to my question.

Yes, all the devices are able to go online. 

My router is a Netgear D7000v2.

By address reservation do you mean static/reserved IP addresses? If so, no the router assigns addresses via DHCP

One extra complication that I have not mentioned so far is that the WiFi network that the extender connects to is provided by a KoalaSafe Dome device. https://koalasafe.com/dome.html

This is a device that plugs into the router and provides it's own wireless network. The extender then provides extra coverage for this wireless network.

According to this page, the EX6100v2 should be compatible with my KoalaSafe device. http://discuss.koalasafe.com/t/extenders-that-work-with-koalasafe/283

Any more questions, please let me know.

Thank you

Message 4 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JohnAus, 

Thanks for getting back! I'd like for our support team to reach out to you for further investigation. Would you mind sending me a private message with your contact info and serial number. 

Thanks!

Christian 

Message 5 of 7
JohnAus
Aspirant

Hi Christian. I've just sent you a private message.

Thanks

John

Message 6 of 7
Mciv
Aspirant

I have the same issue. All devices connected to the extender have one of two virtual MAC addresses. I'm trying to use parental controls and MAC filtering from the Linksys router but since I can only filter one address it limits the overall usefulness. Does the 6100 generate a separate virtual MAC for each device or should each device have the same virtual MAC?

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7