× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address; EX6100v2 culprit

GilDawson
Tutor

Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address; EX6100v2 culprit

We have a Netgear EX6100v2 Range Extender working with an Arris NVG443B  DSL modem/router.   About 15 devices connect via WiFi; no cables.   I configured the EX6100v2 to use one SSID throughout.   

Problem is, once or twice a day, one or more of my computers, at different times, will display the message:

• Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address

Unplugging the EX6100v2, although WiFi rage is reduced thereby, makes the problem stop.

A suggested hypothesis is that one or more devices occasionally will ask to renew a DHCP lease, or something, then the EX6100v2 will race the Arris NVG443B to serve the re-lease, causing a conflict.

I have plugged the EX6100v2 back in, and reconfigured it to use separate SSIDs.  The problem should recur within a day or so, if it is going to recur at all.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address; EX6100v2 culprit

You can set devices with reserved or static ip addresses so that doesn't happen. 

Did you setup the extender using wps or using the installation assistant?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address; EX6100v2 culprit

You can set devices with reserved or static ip addresses so that doesn't happen. 

Did you setup the extender using wps or using the installation assistant?

Message 2 of 3
GilDawson
Tutor

Thanks, plemans, for your quick response.

I did set up the EX6100v2 using the assistant.

Setting up with reserved or static IPs seems like a reasonable solution.  I had not thought of that. 

I suppose I should set up both the Arris cable modem/router and the EX6100v2 with the same reserved IP for each device, n'est pas? 

I'll have to learn how to do that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--Gil

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7