× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Change Extender MAC address

gscara
Aspirant

Change Extender MAC address

Hello - I would like to know whether it it possible to change an AC1900 MAC address. 

I have been using the AC1900 to extend the connection of the router placed in a common area of our building,  and for one year everything went fine.  However, yesterday the extender stopped working and even after multiple hard resets it was unable to connect. I have correct access credentials for the wi-fi, as I am able to get the very poor signal wiht my laptop and cell. It is the extender that doesn't work. 

When I am setting up the extender, I am able to see the 5ghz connection, I log in with the password but everything collapses when the Extender tries to connect, and I get the error message that either the password was incorrect (which is not true), that the Extender is too far from the router (strange becasue it has worked for one year in that position), or that there is an LAC filter or something that blocks my MAC address. 

Hence, my question. Or any other fix, is possible.

Thanks everyone for the help

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Change Extender MAC address

Is the extender connecting to the router on 2.4Ghz or 5?  What color are the link rate LEDs?

Message 2 of 6
gscara
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. The Extender connects to 5Ghz. The Ghz leds are off (which I believe is not normal).
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@gscara wrote:
The Ghz leds are off (which I believe is not normal).

I agree.  One of the link leds should be lit (indicating that the extender is connecting to the router on that band), ideally green in color.

One thing you could try is a factory reset (setting the extender up again).

Message 4 of 6
gscara
Aspirant

Unfortunately I tried a couple of hard resets per manual (pressing the reset button for 7seconds etc etc) but the same issue occurs.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@gscara wrote:
Unfortunately I tried a couple of hard resets per manual (pressing the reset button for 7seconds etc etc) but the same issue occurs.

You could try the 30-30-30 reset procedure described here:  https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-hard-reset-your-netgear-wnr3500l It's a long shot, but you have nothing to lose.

Another thing you could try - move the extender as close to the router as you can, and see if the behavior changes.

You might also want to confirm your warranty status - the warranty is 1 year.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7