× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting extender to hotel login page

lotsokids
Aspirant

Connecting extender to hotel login page

I have a guest network that requires a web page to open and a password to enter network to use (like hotel login), but I cannot get extender to allow me to enter a webpage and login so it says it cannot connect. Is there a way around this?

I.e open a web page, enter the password to the network when prompted by main router. Then get extender to boost signal to other areas/devices?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
lotsokids
Aspirant

Quick clarification. Not a standard wep password you can just enter, but like last name, room number, accept terms checkbox then can login. I cant obviously enter all that from the configuration page, but would like the extender to connect even though it cant find internet and let me enter the authentication information from a web page. Then internet would work. But as it is now, it just fails and I don't see a workaround.
Message 2 of 9
Unimatrix
Aspirant

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. You should be able to get to the portal page through the extender once the wifi connection is made. One reason I can think of is that the portal software expects a consistent Mac address related to the IP address for security reasons. I'm not sure if you can copy the client's Mac address to the extender. Is there a Mac filtering setting you can disable in the portal software ?
Message 3 of 9
lotsokids
Aspirant

Thank you it seems that it should, but it doesn't give me the chance. It just says connection failed. I do not see an option on the extender to clone a MAC address. That sounded like a good idea though. I seem to only be able to connect to routers that you standard security (password wep, wpa, not a login page.) It seems the router should be able to easily handle this if it just didn't give up once it tried connecting and realizes internet is not available but still allow user to browse the web.
Message 4 of 9
storm_2003
Novice

Question: were you able to access the Internet directly to the hotel's SSID after you login to the portal without the Extender?
Message 5 of 9
RWHeadlee
Aspirant

I too am having this problem.  Has anyone found an answer to this issue?

Message 6 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @RWHeadlee,

Can you please clarify what device you are using? and your issue?
If you can answer any of the above questions from other users, that would be helpful in determining your issue.

Thank you

Message 7 of 9
RWHeadlee
Aspirant

I am using the WNCE3001 on a computer that does not have a wireless card.  I have been able to connect the WNCE3001 to my home network with n o problems.  The computer is Microsoft XP.

Message 8 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @RWHeadlee,

Are you able to follow the "Installation without WPS" listed here?:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNCE3001/WNCE3001_IG_20SEPT2011.pdf

You will need to factory reset the WNCE3001 if you are trying to connect to the Hotel network
Use a pin or paperclip to press the  Reset  button and hold it for 5 seconds until the power  LED blinks amber.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7