× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting my WN3000RP-100PAS to my Router via PowerLine

curtisj
Aspirant

Connecting my WN3000RP-100PAS to my Router via PowerLine

I recently purchased a WN3000RP-100PAS and I would like to use it as an Access Point and connect it to my WiFi internet Router through the my power line.  I have an older NETGEAR PowerLine (I believe it is the Powerline AV200 Adapter XAV201) that my router has an Ethernet connect to.  I am using several older NETGEAR Powerline's in my house - all working fine.

Is it possible to configure the WM3000RP to access my router through the Powerline?  I was told 'yes' before I bought it, but I cannot figure-out how to make the WM3000RP connect to my router thought the Powerline.   I did plug it in to an outlet near my router and connected it directly with an Ethernet cable and this worked.

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

No, that's not possible.  To do what you described requires the WN3000RP to have built-in support for Powerline networking.  The WN3000RP does not have that.

[Edit: There are Powerline adapters that have built-in Wi-Fi.  For example, PLW1000.]

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

First, confirm that the Powerline adapter that you want to plug the WN3000RP has a good connection to the router.  Connect a laptop or PC, for example.

You need to put the WN3000RP into Access Point mode.  Follow the instructions in the manual.  Here is direct link.

Message 2 of 7
curtisj
Aspirant

Hi, 

The Powerline adapter has very good connectivity to the WiFi router.  I have always been configuring the WN3000RP in Access Point mode.

I was hoping (planning) to have the WN3000RP connect through my power lines in my house to my WiFi router; not physically connect it to a Powerline with an Ethernet cable.  I have several devices in my house connected like this already.

Do you know if this is possible?  i.e. Just plug the WN3000RP into an outlet and have network connectivity to my WiFi router (which is connected to a Powerline adapter) ?

Thanks,

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

No, that's not possible.  To do what you described requires the WN3000RP to have built-in support for Powerline networking.  The WN3000RP does not have that.

[Edit: There are Powerline adapters that have built-in Wi-Fi.  For example, PLW1000.]

Message 4 of 7
curtisj
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick reply.  That is unfortunately.  When I was told that was supported, they must have meant physcially connecting the WN3000RP to a Powerline with an Ethernet cable.

I was about to ask if there was a product which could do this.

When you say the PLW1000 has built in Wi-Fi, it natively supports Powerline networking, could connect to my router and provide Internet access to those devices that connect to it via Wi-Fi?  Just want to be sure I buy the right product this time.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 7
curtisj
Aspirant

I reviewed the PLW1000, and it looks like the answer is yes.  My only question is whether my existing older PowerLine wired access points will work with the newer companion PowerLINE Adapter (that plug's into your WiFi router via Ethernet cable) that ships with the PWL 1000.

I would *guess* it's all backward compatible.

Message 6 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Yes, it should be compatible.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7