× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX80 Performance issues

Reefs
Tutor

EAX80 Performance issues

I’m seeing performance of this extender slowly degrade over a period of a month or so. Are there any known issues?

After a factory reset, the extender works well. It has a few issues from time to time which are resolved by reboots, but eventually performance drastically drops and throughput is abysmally low, and no amount of rebooting the whole network will resolve it.

Another factory reset and reconfigure and I’m back up and running for a month or so.

EAX80 is in extender mode - 5Ghz only to router. Dedicated SSID
Client SSID - dual 2.5Ghz & 5 GHz, same password.
WiFi 6 enabled
Everything else disabled to try and have stability
Latest firmware
Anybody with a similar experience or any ideas why the device degrades over time but fixed with factory resets. Never used to be this bad
Message 1 of 6
Sumu
Aspirant

Re: EAX80 Performance issues

Ownsby.com, your website is superb! The design is elegant, and the content is compelling. It’s a joy to explore. Thank you for providing such a fantastic online experience!

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

what router are you connecting it to? 

Have you tested speeds over both 2.4ghz and 5ghz to see which is causing the drop?

also, make sure if you're speedtesting for peak speed to be attached to 5ghz as its a much faster network

How far from the router is the extender? 

did you try changing wifi channels when speeds slow?

Message 3 of 6
Reefs
Tutor

It’s a Virgin Media Hub 4

I’ve spent a lot of time trying different channels and WiFi configurations.

I’ve found the 2.4Ghz band drops packets - which appears to be on the Hub 4 side.

5Ghz is stable, and doesn’t drop packets. I get full performance speed. I have wireless and wired from the extender, so it isn’t a WiFi issue from the client.

When it degrades everything is affected.

It would be good if there was any logging that could be viewed. I feel like it will be something less visible like an internal log being full, etc….
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

You put 5ghz doesn't drop but then later said everything drops/slows. 

Just wanting to clarify if everything does or just the 2.4ghz.

And wired devices connected to the EAX slow down as well? 

That tends to indicate an issues between router---extender

How far from the router is the extender? 

And whats between them (walls, thickness, how many, what are they made of)

when it slows, get a screensnip of the status page on the extender, that'll show that backhaul link

Message 5 of 6
Reefs
Tutor

2.4Ghz drops packets consistently. So I’ve set the extender to only use the 5Ghz band to the router.

The 5Ghz band works perfectly for many weeks then degrades. It goes from full speed which in my case is 270mb/s down and 25mb/s up to 0.5mb/s down and 3mb/s up

Wired connections in to the extender degrade too.

There is about 4 - 5 metres between the router and the extender. Router is on the ground floor, extender is on the first. In terms of materials, there will be timber, plasterboard, carpet. Nothing too heavy.

I’ve factory reset the router again recently to resolve the issue, which encouraged me to use this forum. Performance has been back to normal now for a few days. I’ll keep an eye on it and post back when the issues start again.

For info - the status page shows a strong and healthy connection, but I’ll screenshot too
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7