× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX80 used as a WIFI extender goes offline 3 x per week

Sending-signals
Aspirant

EAX80 used as a WIFI extender goes offline 3 x per week

I have the Netgear Nighthawk EAX80 WIFI extender and it as of lately this last month suddenly going offline about 3 x per week. Once I restart it by power cycling the unit normal function is regained. But I should not have to do this and if I am not at home it is most inconvenient as I cannot power cycle it to view my security cams.

The Gateway I am using is the new Comcast XB8 gigabit router / modem. If I reboot this device then the EAX80 goes offline the EAX80 will work normally, but again I should not have to reboot. Something is causing the EAX80 to go offline whilst the XB* always works normally.

I wonder if creating a static IP would be of any benefit or what other resolutions can be made? I appreciate any real viable solutions.

As you can see the firmware of the EAX80 is current and the setup normal for now. But in a few days it will goes offline while the XB8 Gateway continues to work normally.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sending-signals
Aspirant

Re: EAX80 used as a WIFI extender goes offline often

I put the EAX80 into Fastlane 5ghz > 2.4ghz as you can see in the photo comparison. 

The 2.4ghz signal strength was boosted to more than 2 x from 860m to 1729.

Hopefully this will resolve the dropped connections occurring way too often in the normal mode.

I will update this post in a few days for the results.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Sending-signals
Aspirant

Re: EAX80 used as a WIFI extender goes offline 3 x per week

I am going to try to run a long ethernet cord from the gateway XB8 to the EAX80, then set it up as an access point. I will relay my experience in a few days if no more signal dropouts occur. Not a preferable thing due to the work to run the cord and it cannot be hidden well...

But if it stops the dreaded drop outs it will be worth it. 

Still I would be curious what the cause was as the EAX80 worked fine for years until a month ago...

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: EAX80 used as a WIFI extender goes offline 3 x per week

did you set it up using the WPS setup method? If so, try factory resetting it and install it using the installation assistant. 

When it goes down, are you able to log into the extender and check its status page? Much more informational to get that when it goes down versus when its working

Message 3 of 4
Sending-signals
Aspirant

Re: EAX80 used as a WIFI extender goes offline often

I put the EAX80 into Fastlane 5ghz > 2.4ghz as you can see in the photo comparison. 

The 2.4ghz signal strength was boosted to more than 2 x from 860m to 1729.

Hopefully this will resolve the dropped connections occurring way too often in the normal mode.

I will update this post in a few days for the results.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series