× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 Access Point Mode To Nighthawk X6 working at 100 mbps

navsonline
Aspirant

EX7000 Access Point Mode To Nighthawk X6 working at 100 mbps

Hello Everyone, I have a Nighthawk X6 R8000 router connected over Cat5e cable to a EX700|AC1900 extender. The cable from the router terminates on a Cat5e compatible patch panel and I am using another Cat5e cable to connect the extender to the patch panel. The length of the cable from the router to the patch panel and to the extender is well under 100 meters distance. The extender is configured to work as an access point. Everything looks to be working good on the wifi side. 

However, the router's ethernet port LED glows amber indicating a 10 or a 100 mbps connection to the extender. My internet bandwidth is configured at 300 mbps and if I run a speed test from a wireless device connected to the R8000, I receive 279 mpbs down and 222 mbps up speeds. If I run the same speed test after connecting the same device to the extender, I receive 92 mbps down and 89 mbps up speeds. I am guessing its because the router and extender are negotiating the ethernet connection at 100 mpbs and not 1000 mpbs. 

Any ideas if I can force the ethernet connection between the router and extender to negotiate at 1000 mbps instead of 100? 

Thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX7000 Access Point Mode To Nighthawk X6 working at 100 mbps

Hi @navsonline, what is the firmware version of the router and the extender? Does the issue persist if you have the extender directly connected to the router and not through the patch? Have you tried using another port on the router or another cable? Do your other Gigabit capable wired devices get the expected throughput from the router (with white LED)?

Dexter

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @navsonline, what is the firmware version of the router and the extender? Does the issue persist if you have the extender directly connected to the router and not through the patch? Have you tried using another port on the router or another cable? Do your other Gigabit capable wired devices get the expected throughput from the router (with white LED)?

Dexter

Message 2 of 4
navsonline
Aspirant

Hi @dexter

I had to re crimp the cable at both ends to resolve the problem. The cable was 10 years old (put in when the house was built) and had a bad crimp. Recrimping jumped the speed to 1 Gig speeds.
Message 3 of 4
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @navsonline, cool! Thanks for the update. Glad to know you were able to get it resolved.

Dexter

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7