× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 Extender as Mesh Network Access Point

DickDuke
Apprentice

EX7000 Extender as Mesh Network Access Point

After upgrading both router and extender to the latest firmware, I set about converting from a dual SID router + access point to a single SID Mesh network. I first set up the EX7000 in access point mode, since it connects to the router upstairs via an Ethernet over power line connection. It seemed to work, but I couldn’t find a way to confirm whether or not the single SID was actually operating as a true mesh network. 

I switched the EX7000 to extender mode and set it up according to the instructions as a mesh network. The strange thing is that even though it’s in extended mode, it seems to be working properly as an access point. The only connection between the router and the extender, visible in the settings of both devices, is the hardwired Ethernet IP connection.

This seems to be exactly the setup that I want, but I’m a bit confused.

is the X7000 actually functioning as a mesh network access point, even tough it’s in extender mode?

And, if I return it to access point mode, will it still provide the seamless handoff of a mesh network even though I can’t get a visible confirmation of this through the settings menus?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DickDuke
Apprentice

Re: EX7000 Extender as Mesh Network Access Point

Just as an aside here... I eventually bought the Orbi RBK23 kit (router plus 2 satellites) so never did figure out the behind the scenes configuration. I'll add, that the reason I upgraded to the newer Orbi system, was that the EX7000 was never ideal as a solution. It seemed that I had to trade off simplicity for reliablity (ie use with a different SID) because no matter how I configured it, it never matched the performance of the Router by itself.

The RBK23 works like a charm. Thought there were occasional challenges getting everything to work the way I wanted.

View solution in original post

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 3

All Replies
gaidin43
Initiate

I have the same question on this. I am using an r7000 nighthawk as an access point and the ex7000 as another access point behiend the same router. I can’t tell if either one is operating as a mesh or not on the same ssid
Message 2 of 3
DickDuke
Apprentice

Just as an aside here... I eventually bought the Orbi RBK23 kit (router plus 2 satellites) so never did figure out the behind the scenes configuration. I'll add, that the reason I upgraded to the newer Orbi system, was that the EX7000 was never ideal as a solution. It seemed that I had to trade off simplicity for reliablity (ie use with a different SID) because no matter how I configured it, it never matched the performance of the Router by itself.

The RBK23 works like a charm. Thought there were occasional challenges getting everything to work the way I wanted.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7