× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help connecting WiFi Range Extender

Tenkage
Initiate

Help connecting WiFi Range Extender

First of all, I don't have Nighthawk Mesh, I just didn't know where else to ask. Do the router and extender have to be the same brand? I have an old d-link router, but a Netgear extender. Anyways I connected the extender to the router as per the instructions, then plugged the extender into the wall where I wanted it. Now my wifi list shows "NETGEAR_EXT", but it won't let me password protect it, and when I connect to it, it says "no internet". My computer uses Windows 10, and I opened up the network menu, but it doesn't give me an option to add anything to my current home network. Please help, I don't really know what I'm doing, I only know basic computer knowledge, and this kind of thing is way above my level, but I don't know any tech-savvy people, Google isn't helping, and the wifi signal doesn't reach the whole back half of my house 😭 Thanks for any advice/help!

PS- if it helps, my router is a d-link DIR-628.

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Help connecting WiFi Range Extender

You can mix/match extenders/routers.

The only issue is that sometimes wps setup methods don't work. 

Is that how you set it up? 

If so, factory reset the extender and install it using the installation assistant instead. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can mix/match extenders/routers.

The only issue is that sometimes wps setup methods don't work. 

Is that how you set it up? 

If so, factory reset the extender and install it using the installation assistant instead. 

Message 2 of 6
Tenkage
Initiate

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond. Yes, I had tried the WPS method before. I had to Google what the "installation assistant" was 😅 but at your suggestion, I used it and was able to connect the extender successfully! I've been testing the signal strength all morning, and there doesn't seem to be any problems with it. Thank you so much! You get the "my hero" button!

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it worked!

Message 4 of 6
keoki51
Initiate

extender  works but got a new modem recently and cannot reprogram with the new network id and password.

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@keoki51 wrote:

extender  works but got a new modem recently and cannot reprogram with the new network id and password.

Its enouraged to start your own thread instead of "thread jumping" so we can individualize help. Thanks

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7