× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I can't log onto my netgear extended with my password

rogercorke
Guide

I can't log onto my netgear extended with my password

I have recently changed my broadband router. I reset my Netgear extender and connected it to the new router. On my Mac and my iPhone i can see the  extender with the same name as the new router, followed by _2GXT and _5GXT but when I use the password I use to connect to my router, it doesn't recognise the password. I then tried the password I used with the old router and it didn't recognise them either. Any solutions, anyone?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: I can't log onto my netgear extended with my password

Did you set it up using the push button WPS option? 

If so, factory reset the extender  and set it up using the installation assistant.

To factory reset, push and hold the reset button for 7-15 seconds while powered on. 

Here's a video of how to use the assistant. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If so, factory reset the extender  and set it up using the installation assistant.

To factory reset, push and hold the reset button for 7-15 seconds while powered on. 

Message 2 of 5
rogercorke
Guide

Thanks so much. That worked! My router has a WPS button and will connect to the extender using it, so goodness why it won't then set up properly but it just won't.

I would advise anyone NOT to use the instructions to connect through WPS and just use the installation assistant because you waste so much time...the router has a WPS button and will connect when you press it but the extender just won't work., so you wonder what the problem is and spend ages trying to solve it. By using the assistant, you're connected in minutes.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked for you!

WPS can get coded different/poorly so when it doesn't work, its worth trying the assistant. 

Message 4 of 5
lillyrowling18
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

If so, factory reset the extender in noun examples and set it up using the installation assistant.

Thanks, the topic was helpful to fix my problem as well.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7