× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New router & password, can't connect WN2500RP

SparkleMania
Tutor

New router & password, can't connect WN2500RP

I have searched the help here, but can't find a solution ... my landlady got a new router with a new password. I can connect with hard wire but also need my wireless extender to work.  From what I can tell after pushing the button in the back, it can see the new router, but needs the new password.  How do I do that?

Message 1 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Re: New router & password, can't connect WN2500RP

If your landlady's router supports WPS (there is a good chance that it does), then you can use it to connect your extender to her router without the password. You will want to follow the instructions on page 13 of the manual. Basically, push the WPS button on your extender and push the WPS button on her router within 2 minutes. If her router supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, then you'll need to do this process twice to connect both bands.

The other option, of course, is to ask your landlady for the password. If she didn't change the default settings on her router, then the Wi-Fi password(s) will be printed on a label attached to the router. Again, if the router is dual-band (i.e. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), there will be two SSID's and two passwords. Then follow the instructions (page 15, 22 or 33) in the manual to enter the password into the extender. 

Message 2 of 9
SparkleMania
Tutor

I have the new router name and password...I just don't know how to provide this new information to my extender.  I have successfully connected my computers which are connected via cable. I need to get the new info to the extender so I can connect my printer, ipad, and phone.

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Please open the link to the manual that I provided above and follow the instructions on either page 15, 22 or 33.
Message 4 of 9
SparkleMania
Tutor

The web links to www.mywifiext.net and www.mywifiext.net take me to error pages.  Apparently what I need is to somehow log into Maintenance ->set password, but the web page it says to go to does not work.

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Did you first connect your computer to the extender's Wi-Fi network (NETGEAR_EXT) or Ethernet port? You must do that in order for www.mywifiext.net to work.

Message 6 of 9
TheEther
Guru

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so maybe a video is worth a few million.

Here is a helpful video that shows the setup process for a WN2000RP. The process should be very similar to your WN2500RP.

Message 7 of 9
SparkleMania
Tutor

I keep trying all the things in the instruction manual, and that I can find online, I even reset the device to factory settings, and I keep getting "connection refused" or error messages when I try to find some way to get into Maintenance. The extender sees the router, but I can't get into the extender to tell it the new router name and new password.

Message 8 of 9
SparkleMania
Tutor

I am watching the video and same with all the things I've done ... it SHOULD launch the wizard but does not.  And I could not figure out how to launch that Genie page manually. I would enter the web adderess, and, as mentioned, get an error page.  *** My whole problem has been I could not launch Netgear Genie!!! ***

But the video refered to it as a "wizard" so when I did an internet search for "Netgear Setup Wizard", I FINALLY found a link to open it!!!!!

http://www.mywifiext.net/IA_frame.htm

I am now set up!! And my laptop is now connected.  Now to set up my 5 other devices!!!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7