× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk x6s ac3000 WiFi extender 5ghz issues

DJohnson88
Aspirant

Nighthawk x6s ac3000 WiFi extender 5ghz issues

I purchased a Netgear nighthawk tri band WiFi extender x6s ac3000. During setup I was only able to register 1of my 5ghz WiFi signal, would not give the option to register the second one. My WiFi router is tri band. Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Nighthawk x6s ac3000 WiFi extender 5ghz issues

I'm not sure what you mean by "register".  But normally one of the 5G radios in the EX8000 is dedicated to the backhaul connection between the extender and the router.  The second 5G radio is client facing.

If that is what you are seeing, then it is working as designed.

Message 2 of 4
DJohnson88
Aspirant

Maybe register was a bad choice of words to describe. During the initial out of the box setup/configuration, when I was instructed to select the wifi signals I wished to extend I was only allowed to use two. So your saying my second 5ghz is just for backhaul and won't be boosted like the other two signals?
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The EX8000 has Fastlane3 built in (not selectable).  Ordinarily it will dedicate one of the 5G radios as the backhaul.  In most cases that's what you'd want, as it gives the best performance.

There might be some cases where it fails over to a different mode, but Netgear hasn't said what those cases are.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7