× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline 2000 connected. Printer working, but not internet.

acam6146
Aspirant

Powerline 2000 connected. Printer working, but not internet.

Hi,

I have created the following setup to extend internet from the living room to a home office:

internet - Netcomm NF18AC Modem Router - two cables - PLP2000 - through walls - PLP2000 - (1) Netgear N300 Modem Router (2) Epson printer.

Note: the printer is being run from the Netcomm router.

This was working well for the first two months with impressive internet speeds and a reliable connection from the second router. Recently, the internet has become unavailable from the second router. All lights on the PLP2000 are showing green. I can still print when connected to the main router.

I plugged the second router into the first router (in living room) with a direct ethernet cable and it works perfectly. The problem seems to be in the transmission through the powerline, although, like I said, I'm receiving a strong connection signal and I can still print through this setup.

I've run through basic trouble shooting. Everything has been reset etc. without success.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Model: PLP1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 11
acam6146
Aspirant

Re: Powerline 2000 connected. Printer working, but not internet.

I should add that I want to access the internet from the second router wirelessly. This is all setup in the router and like I said, was working well at the beginning.

When I plug my computer directly into the ethernet port of the powerline in the office, I still do not get internet, although I have a stable connection to the main router.

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@acam6146 wrote:

When I plug my computer directly into the ethernet port of the powerline in the office, I still do not get internet, although I have a stable connection to the main router.

Getting this to work will likely solve your main problem.

Can you "ping" the main router when you connect your computer directly to the powerline ethernet? 

Can you see if the PC is getting an IP address that is compatible with your main router's network?

BTW, the usual way to do this would be to set up the Netgear router as an Access Point, and not use it as a router.  If you can post the router model (N300 is actually a speed rating), then we can find out if that is possible.

Message 3 of 11
acam6146
Aspirant

Thanks for Responding Stephen.

The Ping request times out when pinging the main router from the powerline ethernet. When connected to the main router, I can ping the second router successfully.

The second routers model is DGN2200v4. The second router is really just acting as an access point (I think???). The second router is setup as a fixed ip on the main router, DHCP is disabled and you can see the devices logged into the main router when viewing the netgear genie from the second router.

Not sure if this helps but when I'm wirelessely logged into the second router and I ping the printer, I'm receiving "Destination host unreachable"

Also, when I'm connected to the second router, I cannot browse the ip for the main router. When connected into the main router, I can browse the ip's for both routers.

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@acam6146 wrote:

The second routers model is DGN2200v4. The second router is really just acting as an access point (I think???).

That model does have an AP mode you can enable from the web ui - that might be better than trying to create an AP mode manually.

But if you want to stick to doing it manually, you also should be connecting the ethernet to a LAN port of the DGN2200, and not it's WAN port.

@acam6146 wrote:

The Ping request times out when pinging the main router from the powerline ethernet. When connected to the main router, I can ping the second router successfully.

Can you let us know the local IP address of the router (usually 192.168.x.x), and the IP address of the PC when it is connected via powerline ethernet?  Local IP addresses aren't routable, so it is safe to post them.

Message 5 of 11
acam6146
Aspirant

The IP address of the main router is 192.168.20.1. The second router is set to 192.168.20.2 and this has been reserved on the main router. The IP range for DHCP on the main router has been set to 192.168.20.64 to 192.168.20.127.

local IP address is 192.168.20.64 when connected wirelessly to the main router.

local IP address is 192.168.20.67 when connected by powerline ethernet to the main router.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@acam6146 wrote:

The IP address of the main router is 192.168.20.1. The second router is set to 192.168.20.2 and this has been reserved on the main router. The IP range for DHCP on the main router has been set to 192.168.20.64 to 192.168.20.127.

local IP address is 192.168.20.64 when connected wirelessly to the main router.

local IP address is 192.168.20.67 when connected by powerline ethernet to the main router.

Thx, this is helpful.

So the PC is getting a DHCP address when connected by powerline, but it cannot ping 192.168.20.1?

Is ping disabled in the router?  If it is, ping would also time out when you are connected wirelessly.

Message 7 of 11
acam6146
Aspirant

That's right. When using powerline ethernet, the PC is allocated an ip address but I cannot ping the main router.

I can ping the router when connected wirelessly.

Not sure if this helps but I can also ping my printer from Command Promp when connected wirelessly to the router, however, I cannot ping the printer when using the routers diagnostic interface.

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  And the DGN2200v4 is not on the path when you are doing these tests?

Message 9 of 11
acam6146
Aspirant

Correct. DGN2200v4 wasn't plugged in during those last tests.

I've attached a summary of the test results for assistance.

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Thx, the table is helpful.

The puzzle here is that the PC appears to be getting an IP address from the router (DHCP) when it is connected to the powerline ethernet.  That requires two-way communication to the router through the powerline connection.  But other traffic isn't flowing.

Perhaps confirm that the PC is using DHCP (and isn't set to fail over to 192.168.20.67). Then try rebooting the PC when it is connected to the powerline network.  Check its IP address after the PC is booted, and see if it is still getting 192.167.20.67.

Another approach is to contact Netgear support (my.netgear.com) and just request an RMA.  Don't purchase gearhead support for this. Instead look for the link that says "to request warranty replacement, please click here".  This post might help: https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/Nighthawk-EX8000-NO-SUPPORT-AVAILABL...

Note Netgear will require you to ship your current product back to them at your expense.  FWIW, that's not a policy I agree with (and I don't work for them). 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7