× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 + which WiFi extender

mrcovalt
Initiate

RAX120 + which WiFi extender

I just replaced my mesh system with the RAX120 because I couldn't control my Apple devices with the mesh system (my HomePod on one band, my iPhone on another, and all under the same network name, it was maddening).

Apple tech suggested I seperate my 2.4 and 5 WiFi networks, which I couldn't do with my Nighthawk mesh system, so I now have the RAX120.

It's great in the house, but just outside our main house we have a converted garage where I do most of my work.  Most devices are hard wired with ethernet.  I have a 100' ethernet cable from the RAX120 (main house) that goes underground and into an 8-port switch in the garage.  Everything is super fast and I'm happy with it, except for the WiFi down here in the garage is now aweful.  The RAX120 signal is picked up, but it's pretty weak, so when on my iPhone, or any other WiFi device down here, it's pretty painful.

I don't want to clutter up my network, so I'm hoping to get a WiFi extender that can connect to the RAX120 through ethernet, rather than picking up an already weak WiFi signal.

Anyone have a suggestion for which extender to get that'd work well in this scenario?
Thanks!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 + which WiFi extender

Most extenders have a access point mode (not the very base model versions)

So its basically picking which one works for you. 

You also could use an old router and install it as an access point. Or even use an access point. 

You have many options when you've got a hardwired connection. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Most extenders have a access point mode (not the very base model versions)

So its basically picking which one works for you. 

You also could use an old router and install it as an access point. Or even use an access point. 

You have many options when you've got a hardwired connection. 

Message 2 of 6
mrcovalt
Initiate

Thanks!  I had no idea I could use any router.  I still have my old Nighthawk X6 R8000 router around, so I just set it up as an access point and I'm on my way now.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad it works for you! A r8000 is a darned solid access point  🙂

Message 4 of 6
Jimzimm88
Aspirant

I’ve actually got a similar question/problem. The RAX120 works great for inside my home but I’d like to extend my Wi-Fi range to the backyard so I can connect a TV through Wi-Fi. The signal doesn’t appear to be strong enough from my router. Is there a Wi-Fi extender that I can use to easily extend the range? ( I fully expect signal degradation but I’m hoping some streaming won’t require too much bandwidth)
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Jimzimm88 if you have the RAX120, I'd look at either something like the EAX20/EAX80 for that setup. 

If you have issues, I'd start your own thread so we can troubleshoot with you

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7