× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Range extenders for 5 acre property

wadecb
Tutor

Range extenders for 5 acre property

Hi, I have a 5 acre property I want to install wifi security cameras all around and there is a small house about 250 feet from the main house that I want to get as good as possible wifi signal to as well.

Currently I have good wifi speeds >200 mbps from a Verizon 5G hotspot (model ASK-NCQ1338) from the main house.

What would you advise I buy? I'm assuming I don't need a router (please correct me if I'm wrong), but perhaps a Netgear EAX20 Range Extender for the small house and some smaller outdoor devices for the cameras? What outdoor devices would work for the cameras? Do I need to create a satellite mesh network to get all around the property?

Can you please provide a sample set of products I can look into to get started?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Range extenders for 5 acre property

Looks like the ASK-NCQ1338 is there home internet gateway. Its got an ethernet port on it. 

So you could use pretty much any of the mesh systems you choose. You'd simple hardwire the router (from the mesh system) into the gateway. then you'd either put the mesh router in access point mode or go into the gateway (verizon) and put it in modem only/passthrough mode. that prevents a double nat. 

If you're looking at having some of these mesh satellites outdoors, I'd look around for a mesh system that has outdoor access points. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't use range extenders. Reason why is there isn't anything controlling them. so if you're using multiple, they can end up connected to each other and not to the router. It can cause instabilities and other issues. 

And 250ft is a bit far to reach for wifi. 

You might look at a point to point system for the detached home. 

but you'd still probably want a mesh system for the home/detached home

Message 2 of 7
wadecb
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. Can you direct me to a Netgear mesh system that is compatible with a Verizon 5g hotspot?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Looks like the ASK-NCQ1338 is there home internet gateway. Its got an ethernet port on it. 

So you could use pretty much any of the mesh systems you choose. You'd simple hardwire the router (from the mesh system) into the gateway. then you'd either put the mesh router in access point mode or go into the gateway (verizon) and put it in modem only/passthrough mode. that prevents a double nat. 

If you're looking at having some of these mesh satellites outdoors, I'd look around for a mesh system that has outdoor access points. 

Message 4 of 7
wadecb
Tutor

Makes sense.

So something like this AX3000 (please correct me if this looks wrong).

For the outdoor access points, looks like Netgear haven't released compatible Wifi 6 ones yet. Still waiting for Wifi 6 equivalents of RBS50Y-2CCNAS. Based on this forum thread, could put satellite extenders in a plastic box as a workaround.

"For the significant cost of the Outdoor RBS50Y with the lower performance when not used with an AC3000 system, I'd strongly recommend saving your coin for a future AX outdoor solution. Other consideration is if you can put a weather safe enclosure over the RBS750 and use one of those outdoors. As long as it's plastic (or non-metallic) it shouldn't interfere with the WiFi 6 signal strength. A number of companies make nice plastic clamshells to put AP's outdoors. Just measure and then search for the right size. Many are very reasonable in cost (less than $50.00)."

Thanks for your help. If no corrections to the statements in this last post, I'll mark your last response as solution 👍

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

As much as a like netgear, I'm doubtful they'll release any wifi 6 outdoor mesh access points for orbi. 

TP-Link has an X-50-outdooor that can be added to their systems. 

I'd probably go that route if you're looking for outdoor devices. I'd also push for the triband setups. they're a bit more but they're dedicated backhaul preserves speeds much better. The dual band systems satellites take significant speed hit and that's if you're setting up in a star configuration. A daisy chain is even slower/higher latency. 

Star: satellite<-------router-------------->satellite

Daisy: Router-------------->Satellite---------------->Satellite

Message 6 of 7
wadecb
Tutor

Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation