× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble with netgear talking to tivo

UPPat
Aspirant

Trouble with netgear talking to tivo

I'm totally new at this. My son set my system up. It worked fine. He left for home and when I turn on the TV, choose the Home Theater input which is how he set it up and then use the Tivo remote to.access my programs and sometimes it works but mostly not.  What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Trouble with netgear talking to tivo

Thanks for the info, these things can be difficult to diagnose, especially where items from different manufacturers try to ‘talk’ to each other. If you do get to the bottom of the issue then a further update would be much appreciated.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We really need more details, particularly which model of Netgear device you are using, what modem (model number / manufacturer), how the Netgear connects to the modem (wired or wireless), and how the TiVo connects to the Netgear (wired or wireless).

Chances are you are doing nothing wrong, but depending on the setup there could be some issues, particularly if it is a wireless setup.

Message 2 of 8
UPPat
Aspirant

I so appreciate your reply.  Netgear connects to my modem with wi-fi.  

We have a Panasonic 65 inch TV and have a receiver to connect that to our sound system.  On occasion when I turn on the TV and the sound is fine I decide to turn on the sound system by accessing the receiver.  At that point I sometimes lose the sound - totally.  If I wait a while it seems to correct itself.   The only reason I'm telling about that is - if the sound is working well with through the receiver and I activate the TIVO then TIVO seems to work fine.  If the sound system is not working correctly that's when I seem to have the problem getting the TIVO to work.  Does that make any sense?

Message 3 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It makes sense, but I’m still not sure of the arrangement of connections/cabling. I for example have a TV and sound system are both networked, but their main route of communication is via the HDMI cables. The system is intelligent so for example if everything is in standby and I power on the PS4, the AV powers on, switches to the PS4 input, feeds this to the TV which then powers on also. So I suspect that your sound issues could be related to other cabling?

Message 4 of 8
UPPat
Aspirant

Hi Andy,

My TIVO started cooperating just after I previously talked with you.  Now I'm back to the same issue.  TIVO worked this AM.  The WiFi seems to be working just fine and the green light is on the TIVO and I occasionally see the red light telling that it is recording a program.  The problem is when I choose the correct input and try to use the TIVO it does not work.  It has been a very rainy day - 12 hours or more but the TV, receiver etc. have all been working fine.  What should I check next?

Message 5 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Could you tell me what Netgear device you are using please, and details of the modem (brand and model number)?

How does the TV connect to the receiver (e.g. HDMI, optical, wireless)?

Are the ‘sound system’ and the ‘receiver’ two separate devices, what are they (brand and model number).

I’m sorry but it’s difficult to offer advice without a clear understanding of what components make up your overall system and how they are interconnected.

Message 6 of 8
UPPat
Aspirant

Sorry to have bothered you.  I found out my problem had nothing to do with Netgear but was in the way my system was set up throught the receiver.  I now have the TIVO connected directly to the TV.  When my son comes up (300 miles away) I'll have him try to set it up so that it can take advantage of the speaker system.  Thanks for all your help.

Message 7 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the info, these things can be difficult to diagnose, especially where items from different manufacturers try to ‘talk’ to each other. If you do get to the bottom of the issue then a further update would be much appreciated.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7