× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP extender via ethernet?

Kazatan
Aspirant

WN3000RP extender via ethernet?

Hey guys,

I bought a NETGEAR WN3000RP a couple of years back and never got around to using it on a permanent bases as it was never providing a stable connection, I am wondering if what i want is possible (See Below).

I would like to be able to extend the signal of the router using an ethernet port. Meaning, i have an ethernet port downstairs where i wish to have the wireless devices, is it possible to plug the ethernet cable into the extender and have it broadcast that signal? Instead of picking up the wireless signal and boosting it?

The problem i am having is that the way the house was built, it is very difficult to have the extender placed an equal distance away from where i need my wireless devices. Here is hoping that this all made sense, and that someone out there will be able to help!

Cheers

Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: WN3000RP extender via ethernet?

Yes!  This is possible and, in fact, the best way to extend wireless coverage because the extender can dedicate the use of its Wi-Fi radio(s) to servicing wireless clients instead of wirelessly repeating traffic to and from the router.  Wireless repeating suffers a 50% speed penalty!  

You need to enable Access Point mode on the extender in order to wire it to the router.  Note: Not all range extenders support Access Point mode.  Fortunately, the WN3000RP does.  You can read the instructions for setting it up on page 15 in the manual (link).

If you wish, you can configure the extender with the same SSID and password as the main router.  Just be sure to use a different, non-overlapping Wi-Fi channel to avoid cross-talk between the two Wi-Fi signals.  For example, use only channels 1, 6 or 11 at 2.4 GHz.  Wireless devices will automatically switch between the extender and router, as needed.  

If you want more control, you can configure the extender with a different SSID and manually join the desired network from your devices.

Message 2 of 4
Kazatan
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, However the manual instructions is different to the user interface of www.mywifiext.net.

My exact model is this:

http://support.netgear.com/product/WN3000RP

Looking at the manual, i unable to find anything about an access point setup - the only options in the interface are for wireless setups, all the help is appreciated.

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Bummer.  It looks like Access Point mode may not be available in your version of the WN3000RP.  Are you running the latest version of firmware?

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7