× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN300RP Password problem

tich51
Follower

WN300RP Password problem

I hope somebody can help. I have plugged in the extender, it has connected via WPS to my router and when I go onto my iPad or laptop I can see the _ext wirelss connection. When I select the extender to connect to it asks me for a password (says in the instructions that it won't), i have tried entering my router password but this does not work.
Any ideas please?:confused:
Message 1 of 16
fluminus
Guide

Re: WN300RP Password problem

tich51 wrote:
I hope somebody can help. I have plugged in the extender, it has connected via WPS to my router and when I go onto my iPad or laptop I can see the _ext wirelss connection. When I select the extender to connect to it asks me for a password (says in the instructions that it won't), i have tried entering my router password but this does not work.
Any ideas please?:confused:

If you used the wps you must enter the password that you find written on the label of repeater
Message 2 of 16
dumdum
Aspirant

Did you ever figure out the password? I have the same situation. Extender asks for password but my regular password doesn't work. I found the PN number on the bag the extender was in and it doesn't work either. Anyone???
Message 3 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WPS key - you need to use from the main router for wps pin number your connecting to..

or

use standard encryption (ex. WPA2)

BOTH information must RETAIN from the main wireless router
Message 4 of 16
NeoGeo
Aspirant

wps isnt a big deal.
its better and easier to configurate manualy.

on the main router use WPA2 (AES) only.
asign all wifi devices via DHCP within a range of (xxx.xxx.xxx.001) up to (xxx.xxx.xxx.254).
after this was done reboot your router.

put in the wn3000rp and connect to it via wifi without extra software directly in windows/linux/osx.
open your browser and type www.mywifiext.net.

follow the steps and click on "use the router security settings - WPA2 (AES) with the same key.

after the setup has finished you will loose the connection to the wn3000rp ... reconnect with the WPA2 key > done.

btw. as next you can disable the device number of the wn3000rp cause of security risks. (www.mywifiext.net)
Message 5 of 16
mschnittman
Aspirant

Not sure if my problem is related or not.

Cannot log into WN3000RP using www.mywifiext.net. I keep getting redirected to Netgear's website. I've spend a few hours looking at this already, and I can't think of what I've missed. Any ideas?

Mark
Message 6 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Disable the wireless on PC and connect to directly to extender and try
Message 7 of 16
mschnittman
Aspirant

I own a new WN3000RP, and until today, I have not been able to get it to work, or simply connect to it to properly configure it.

After reading the entire thread here, I started doing some digging on my own, and I have successfully gotten the unit working properly. It seems to me that there are a number of problems that will manifest as the same/similar issues with the unit, and I will therefore not attempt to address each. The steps outlined here will enable you to access the router setup to set it up and get it running.

1) Connect an RJ45 Ethernet cable directly into the router's port and your PC to be used for configuration. I used my laptop and did not bother disconnecting the wireless. Dong so will sidestep any possible wireless connection/security issues to the unit.
2) Open a web browser (verified working with Firefox, Chrome, and IE) and connect to the router:

www.mywifiext.net

- or -

If you're having trouble with the DNS name resolution, use it's hard-coded IP:

That should get you in. Once you connect, the configuration wizard should automatically start, and guide you through the process of the setup. Of course, this should be done with the range extender within the wireless range of your main wireless router.

The unit, if needed, can be forced to factory defaults by pressing the reset button (on the side) for 15 seconds. The status LED will start blinking. Power off, then back on.

The supplied manual does not discuss the option of connecting to the unit with a cable for config purposes, nor does it state the IP address of the device. I found this information buried on Netgears support site.

Hope this helps.

M Schnittman
Message 8 of 16
loffeking
Aspirant

Thank you for the adivices but I still cant connect to the WN3000RP. I realize I might have to upgrade the firmware but how can I do this when I cant log on to the WN3000RP???

I've resetted the extender several times now!

I go through the setup steps and every time it says it cant connect to the existing network but I know its the right WPA-PSK password for my existing network. The cable is connected between computer-WN3000RP all the time (and previously I have tried without the cable). The router and the extender is in the same room so connection is perfect.

Computer iMac OSX

How do I get into the WN3000RP to upgrade the firmware?!?!

Regards
Loffeking
Message 9 of 16
mschnittman
Aspirant

Force the unit to perform a hard-reset. This will ensure that the WN3000RP password will revert to the default (password). Enter the default WN3000RP IP address in your browser using a cable for connection. That should get you in.
Message 10 of 16
loffeking
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast reply, I resetted the unit with a paperclip in the small hole, then connected it to my computer, switched off the wifi of the computer, then typed http://192.168.1.250/ in Chrome and then it prompts "unable to find internet". How do I get access to the unit so I can update the firmware?? /Elof
Message 11 of 16
mschnittman
Aspirant

It sounds like 1 of 2 things are going on:

1) verify that your ethernet cable is working properly between your PC and the WN3000RP. Are you using a cross cable by mistake?
2) are you positive that there isn't anything wrong with the WN3000RP? Has it worked properly in the past?

The directions I sent you should get you access to the admin settings of the router. There is something that's not quite right.
Message 12 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Disable wifi on computer, use Ethernet to the extender
Open the browser and type http://www.mywifiext.net/
Message 13 of 16
hanham
Aspirant

@Loffeking

Sorry but I understand why you have problems, because these people are giving you wrong advices.

If you reset your netgear to factory settings, plug it in power and then connect to it via WiFi with a wireless device like a Phone or tablet.
Then, when you are in the open wifi connection with the netgear, you go to the browser on that device and there you type www.mywifiext.net

Then you will start the install procedure.
There you can connect to your router and do all the settings.

Regards,

Hans
Message 14 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RP/WN3000RP_UM_1Feb13.pdf

read page 8.. you can use ethernet cable as well
Message 15 of 16
todesm
Aspirant

I wish my experience can be useful to other users too. Today I performed a factory reset of both my modem+router DGND3700v2 and my Wi-Fi range extender WN3000RP. I found the modem router retained the same Wi-Fi network key (password) I had assigned before the factory reset, while to connect to the range extender with www.mywifiext.com I had to type the default User ID (admin) and password (password).

Good luck

Marino

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7