× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WPA2 Passphrase and Full key (WPN824v3)

terry0729
Follower

WPA2 Passphrase and Full key (WPN824v3)

Now that my wife has a relatively new device (iPAD), I decided to upgrade the home network from WEP to WPA2-PSK. The router accepts a passphrase and my two i-devices only require that to sync up. However I have Win7 laptop with internal wireless and also a mini-wireless adapter that I purchased this last summer. Neither of those devices will take the passphrase, requiring instead the full key, which is not displayed by the browser. I am at a loss. Is there some way to sync these devices? Thanking you in advance.
Message 1 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WPA2 Passphrase and Full key (WPN824v3)

ipad will take passphrase ....

and also your windows 7..

key as hex or ascii code?
Message 2 of 15
Chart
Novice

Same problems BUT Kindle will not accept passphrase and my very old dell ( 7 years) will not either. Need the code , not the passphrase.
Have spent hours online unsuccessfully trying to find the answer which must be somewhere, right?
Message 3 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Chart wrote:
Same problems BUT Kindle will not accept passphrase and my very old dell ( 7 years) will not either. Need the code , not the passphrase.
Have spent hours online unsuccessfully trying to find the answer which must be somewhere, right?

what encryption you are using?
Message 4 of 15
Chart
Novice

Set up the N600 on Friday and all went smooth . Entered a unique passphrase and the encryption is WPA2-PSK I believe. After setup my macs fly but the Kindle problem and Dell issue presented themselves. Neither device will accept the passphrase as both want WEP code.
Message 5 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Did you try WPA?

Kindle should support higher than WEP. I would double check spec on kindle
Message 6 of 15
Chart
Novice

Straight from Kindle:
Ensure you've entered a complete WEP or WPA key.

Some brands of wireless routers automatically generate a simple text passphrase from the WEP key. The Kindle is not compatible with passphrases. You must enter the complete WEP key, which contain letters a-f and numbers 0-9. WEP key lengths are as follows:

64-bit WEP keys -- 10 digits
128-bit WEP keys -- 26 digits
256-bit WEP keys -- 58 digits
WPA keys have a minimum of 8 characters and a maximum of 63 characters, and are case sensitive.

Wi-Fi Router Issues
If you are having difficulties connecting to your Wi-Fi network, ensure that your router has not exceeded the maximum number of devices that can be connected at one time. Kindle can connect to N, B and G type routers and to WPS enabled networks.

Kindle is currently unable to connect to enterprise / peer-to-peer networks. If your router has MAC filtering enabled you will be unable to connect if your Kindle's MAC address is not added to your router's whitelist. In order to see your network, your router channel must be within the range 1-11.

Connecting via WPS Technology

Kindle will recognize Wi-Fi networks with a WPS compatible router. To connect via WPS ensure you press the WPS key on your router and are within range of your Wi-Fi network when selecting “Connect via WPS” on the Wi-Fi setup process.

If you are out of range of your wireless network or the WPS key on the router has not been selected when you attempt to connect via WPS you may receive an error stating “WPS connection failed”. This message may also display if you have MAC address filtering enabled.

You may want to contact your Internet service provider or router manufacturer for assistance with troubleshooting your home network.

Router Restriction Compatibility Requirements
WEP Security
Security Key

64-bit WEP keys --10 Digits
128-bit WEP keys--26 Digits
256-bit WEP keys --58 Digits
Passphrases are not supported

WPA Security
Pass Key

Must be 8-63 digits in length
Message 7 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Then why you are using WPA2 which are not supported
Message 8 of 15
Chart
Novice

June, pardon me but I am not, nor pretend to be, computer savvy. Just a construction guy with an issue.

I think I resolved this though.

N600 is dual band so I will keep the WPA2 for the macs and just set up other band as WEP for Kindle and Dell . Seems to be fine.
Message 9 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

jus remember you have weak network that you will have outsider hack your system unless you will use guest network for kindle
Message 10 of 15
Chart
Novice

Again, please pardon my ignorance, but what is guest network?
Also, I set up WEP for 64 bit, I assume setting up for 128 would be an improvement?

BTW, thanks for your responses.
Message 11 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WEP is 100% hackable

Google "war driving"
Message 12 of 15
Chart
Novice

June, with all due respect, you keep pointing out problems yet you are not offering solutions.

If the Netgear router uses passphrase's for all WPA encryption and Kindle will not accept a passphrase what are my choices other than a WEP setup?
Message 13 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

????
If kind only offer WEP then 2.4GHZ must WEP

You change router to push other thans WEP when wifi device only supports WEP

If you dual band router with guest account capable use kindle in guest account while test of better wifi device can use WPA2 on primary guest account
Message 14 of 15
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

guest account ----->guest wireless
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7