× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why New _EXT Network Connection?

Mr_Fatty
Follower

Why New _EXT Network Connection?

Yesterday I installed my WN3000RP range extender with the help of Netgear TS. The install created a new WiFi network connection with _EXT after my network name.

So the range extender is using that _EXT network. I don't get that, as all my devices are on the regular home network. How is this helping to extend the range for my home devices???
Message 1 of 4

Re: Why New _EXT Network Connection?

Netgear adds _EXT to the network SSID so that you know which one to connect to as you move between wifi zones.

If your modem router uses NETGEAR as its SSID, you'll need another one for the Extender, so that devices know which one to connect to. The default for Netgear is to make the new network NETGEAR_EXT.

Devices should connect to that when it is stronger than the original wifi signal.

At least, that's how it works on my older repeater.
Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The only reason to add a postfix to the SSID is to simplify the management of the wireless extender(s) - so you know having to be connected to the _EXT (or _EXT24G and _EXT5G) to be able to reach the extender using the mywifiext.com name.

Beyond, there is no advantage in doing sos - we always reconfigue the extender SSID to match the standard local SSID - so the WLAN STA (clients) have an easier life.

To bad, NETGEAR has no simple management option on their own routers to deal with the virtual MAC addresses during the extender connection (for DHCP, as well as for the WALN MAC address filters).
Message 3 of 4
marc311
Aspirant

Mr_Fatty wrote:
Yesterday I installed my WN3000RP range extender with the help of Netgear TS. The install created a new WiFi network connection with _EXT after my network name.

So the range extender is using that _EXT network. I don't get that, as all my devices are on the regular home network. How is this helping to extend the range for my home devices???

_EXT is the default name just to avoid confusion. You can change it if you want to. 😃
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7