× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Extender loses connection hourly.

B-3Kids
Tutor

Wifi Extender loses connection hourly.

Why does this extender lose connection after a couple of hours every day? I have to reset through WPS if I need to use it. The unit is less than 25 feet from the main router. There is no barrier between the units. The main router is a fiber to unit that gets 1000mbps. It's an incredibley strong wifi signal, but the NetGear extender is practically useless. I've worked with NG support for over an hour. They want to charge me for a solution. Very dissapointing purchase.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Wifi Extender loses connection hourly.

How are you wanting to use it?  To extend ethernet to a device that doesn't do WiFi?  Or are you wanting to do something else?

Are you using FastLane?  Are you using the one WifI name feature?

Also, what is the router manufacturer/model?

Message 2 of 6
B-3Kids
Tutor

1. Simple wifi extender (I can connect and make it work, but it doesn't stay connected more than an hour)

2. ATT Uverse Router, 5268AC (Connected to Uverse 1000 Fiber)

3. Don't know what Fastlane is. 

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Fastlane is described in the manual ( http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX7000/EX7000_UM_EN.pdf )  I'm not sure if it makes sense for you or not.  If you were to use it, either your client-facing network or your extender backhaul would be limited to 2.4 Ghz.  That could become a performance bottleneck.  The plus side is that using a separate backhaul network lowers latency.  It's nearly always a win with a triband extender, but not so obvious with a dual-band extender.

When it fails next time, can you check the extender LEDs?

The 2.4 and 5 ghz links are showing the connection status to the router on those bands.  The client link is showing the connection status to the clients (if any).

Are you using the ethernet outputs?

Message 4 of 6
B-3Kids
Tutor

Not using the ethernet outputs. I'm only wanting to use is as an exteneder to my wifi, and with wifi devices. Because I have fiber to the ATT router that pushes a Gen 5 signal of 500mbs +, I would be frustrated with anything less. It seems the technology from Netgear is not available for that need. 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@B-3Kids wrote:

Because I have fiber to the ATT router that pushes a Gen 5 signal of 500mbs +, I would be frustrated with anything less. It seems the technology from Netgear is not available for that need. 

I have Fios gigabit service (up and down), and use Orbi (RBK50).  I'm quite happy with my speeds (though my fastest wifi clients are 2x2ac, so they can't use the entire internet speed no matter what wifi system I deploy).

@B-3Kids wrote:

Not using the ethernet outputs. 

If you were able to connect to the extender over ethernet as a test, then we'd have a bit more information - in particular if the connection issues were on the client-facing network in the extender, or if they were on the extender->router hop.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series