× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi Range Extender N300 Client Link LED only green when I'm on device

RP10
Aspirant

Wifi Range Extender N300 Client Link LED only green when I'm on device

Good Afternoon All,

Hoping someone can help me understand my wifi extender a bit more. Why is it that my client LED is only Green when I am using my cellphone which is the device I used to set up the extender? I may have answered my own question, but was hoping it would always be green meaning I have the best connection whether I am using my phone or not.

Also do all devices now have to be connected to my extender network instead of my main wifi network?

Would also like to know if I am running the latest firmware on the extender or if it needs updated at all. I've read reviews that they sometimes like all devices need updating.

Can someone please shed some light? 

Greatly appreciated.

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi Range Extender N300 Client Link LED only green when I'm on device

the client light only lights up when a device is connected to the extender. The color it lights up indicates the signal between the extender and whatever is connected to it. 

firmware does occasionally need updating. you can check which version you're on and compare it to the support sites version. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WN3000RPv3.aspx

All devices don't need to be on the extender and I'd actually recommend against this. Reason why is extenders are only designed to give you some extra distance or cover a dead spot. They're actually going to be slower than your router is. And here's why. An extender has to recieve a signal and then retransmit it. And it can't do both at once. (except the tribands) so they cut your speed/throughput in half. Meaning they're going to be slower than a direct connect to the router unless they're out of range of the router or in a deadspot. Then the extender will be better. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the client light only lights up when a device is connected to the extender. The color it lights up indicates the signal between the extender and whatever is connected to it. 

firmware does occasionally need updating. you can check which version you're on and compare it to the support sites version. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WN3000RPv3.aspx

All devices don't need to be on the extender and I'd actually recommend against this. Reason why is extenders are only designed to give you some extra distance or cover a dead spot. They're actually going to be slower than your router is. And here's why. An extender has to recieve a signal and then retransmit it. And it can't do both at once. (except the tribands) so they cut your speed/throughput in half. Meaning they're going to be slower than a direct connect to the router unless they're out of range of the router or in a deadspot. Then the extender will be better. 

Message 2 of 4
RP10
Aspirant

Thank you so much I appreciate the response!

Would you happen to know why my main network now shows not being connected to the internet? Did I do something wrong in connecting the extender. I figured the extender was for devices in dead spots but now I cannot connect to my main network only thing that works is the extender network?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

did you set it up using wps or the installation wizard? I'd try rerunning setup using the wizard. Not all device makers code wps the same and it can occasionally cause issues on a network. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series