× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wifi extender crashing out to captive.apple.com

frustratedkev
Aspirant

wifi extender crashing out to captive.apple.com

I have just moved house and need to connect my POwerline WN3000RP Adapter to the new router to extend my wifi around the house.  When trying to set the thing up, I keep getting to the last step when I am presented with a blank login page headed Captive.Apple.Com.  I have no option to login, only cancel, and my setup fails as a result.  I have tried on 2 separate Macbooks and an Ipad, all get the same result.  I've tried performing multiple factory resets on the adapter, which resets it to Netgear_EXT and have tried every combination of security settings, including no security.  Nothing works.  

I've found a couple of other entries on this forum but they don't have a resolution - just suggestions to try things I've already tried. .

Is this an Apple incompatibility thing?  I'm wondering whether to get some support from somebody with a Windows device.

Any ideas?

Model: XWN5001|Powerline 500 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

@frustratedkev wrote:

I have just moved house and need to connect my POwerline WN3000RP Adapter

The WN3000RP is not a powerline device, despite its appearance. It is a wifi range extender. So this is not the best place to ask for help.

Have you checked for messages in the appropriate section of this forum?

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

You say you found nothing useful, but I see several "solved" threads.

The message you see seems to be from Apple. Does it come up when you try to connect to the wifi?

If you haven't found it already, there is support for this device at the end of this link:

>>>WN3000RP | Universal WiFi Range Extender | NETGEAR Support<<<

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The Macbook is thinking that your extender is a public wifi network that needs a web logon.

You can yry "forgetting" the network in the MacBook and then rejoining it.  Another option is to install firefox or chrome, and use that for the setup.

Message 3 of 7
frustratedkev
Aspirant

I tried the suggestions included here but to no avail.  I realise now though that the problem was that I was trying to extend the netwrok from my main house to the extender using an Ethernet cable as teh wireless signal couldn't penetrate the walls.  The Extender is only designed to work wirelessly so didn't work.  

In case anybody else faces a similar problem, I connected a 2nd router in my cottage using an Ethernet cable, connected to the router in the main house.  I was then able to connect the extender wirelessly to the additional router and all is well.

Message 4 of 7

@frustratedkev wrote:

The Extender is only designed to work wirelessly so didn't work.  

Most extenders can work in AP mode. The manual says the WN3000RP can do this, but  it isn't clear that it is using the term in the same way.

@frustratedkev wrote:
I connected a 2nd router in my cottage using an Ethernet cable, connected to the router in the main house. 

If you really do have two routers on the network, then you have to be careful in how you set them up. With two routers on your network, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts. To avoid that you need to set the routers up with the right DHCP and IP address settings.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two separate routers, to create two separate networks for example, it is usually easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wireless access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

When I have it right, the "real" Access Point capability was introduced with the WN3000RPv3 (version 3) - How do I install the WN3000RPv3 as an access point? - before the term Access Point in the UI misleadingly referred to the wireless extender base station radio to allow wireless clients to access the extender, beyond of the wired Ethernet/LAN port. 

Message 6 of 7
frustratedkev
Aspirant

Thanks for the using router as access point tip.  Guess what I'll be doing this evening!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7