× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wn1000rp asking for password to get on wifi and internet

jennifer1969
Aspirant

wn1000rp asking for password to get on wifi and internet

Ok, so I have an WN1000RP, had for quite awhile now.. loved the plug and play feature.. yesterday i was forced to replace my cable modem.. so once the new one was in place, i did what i had done previously to connect the extender to my home wifi:, i sat by my modem and hit the wps button on extender and then on my modem. ok so it connects to the home wifi fine.. well i go and plug it back into the mid-way spot where it has ALWAYS been and try to connect to the ext on my kindle (which has always been able to connect to it in the past) -- except now, once it connects to the home ext in the normal way, if i try to go to facebook or use the internet i get a message thru netgear saying i am not connected to the internet and it redirects me to log into mywifinet.net using user name/password -- once i log into the mywifinet.net it tells me i am not connected to the internet, and goes through the steps to "add" the extender (yes the one that is already on my network).. then most times either times out, or goes onto the next page where it required me to put in the password for my home network wifi again and then does nothing.. doesnt like to load pictures or anything.. never had to use the mywifiext.net before.. does anyone know how to bypass this? i want to be able to kick on my wifi, it auto connect to the extender and not have to enter a password to access the internet on top of already being on the wifi extender.

Message 1 of 7
netwrks
Master

Re: wn1000rp asking for password to get on wifi and internet

Was the WN1000RP Extender connecting  to the old modem, if yes, then you will need to reset the extender to factory default and reconfigure to match new modem(router combo).

Message 2 of 7
jennifer1969
Aspirant

Yes it connected before. Only had to put in password the first time i connected via kindle or cell. Did a factory reset, it connects fine to home WiFi then it still tries to go to the mywifiext.net to set up but won't let me connect even if I am sitting a foot from my home modem and have booster in same room a foot from modem.
Message 3 of 7
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried completing a setup through the web browser? (not WPS)
Are you also using the same SSID on both your modem router and WN1000rp?

Which modem router are you now using? You can try switching your WiFi channel, as your current channel may be crowded.

Message 4 of 7
jennifer1969
Aspirant

in answer to your multiple questions:

i have tried to set up thru the web browser, it gets to the info part (it sees the home wifi) - i put in the password, which is the same as my home wifi and it will start to load like it is working, then i will show bars on my kindle wifi, and then it says - your are connected but not logged into the internet, then it will re-name the extender: Home-****_EXT_EXT and do nothing

in the past, i would push the WPS button on the extender, and then on the cable modem (while sitting in the room where the home wifi modem is) and it connected - then i would move to the location between the modem and my back porch, and have no problem connecting. no matter what i do now, the extender will only connect - but if i try to connect via my kindle (or my cell) it will push me to go to the web browser setup and never completes the connection. (**side note, if i stay 6 ft from the home wifi with the extender, my kindle will log on but not connect either, but doesnt force the web browser when i am that close, just connects to the extender but not the internet) the location i have always had this extender, is closer with only one wall in between modem/extender compared to my mother's that i set up with zero issue. she has more walls and more distance and hers works fine without trying to push the setup thru the web

i use an xfinity cable modem (it is new as my other one lost the home phone/wifi capabilities) but same model as before.

due to the fact that i live almost in the country, the only thing on my wifi channel is either my kindle or my cell, and i dont typically use my cell at home except to text, so not really worried about hooking to the extender or my home wifi via that. (i cant even get xfinity hotspots because i am so far out)

it is just very strange the issues i am having with this extender that i never had before..

Message 5 of 7
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you set up through the web browser, you have the option to rename your network. (It is recommended that you do not have the same name as your modem router WiFi)
Did you select "Use the same security mode and password as those for the exisiting network" ?

On the final page, please be sure your device is connected to your new WiFi network and then finish the setup.

Capture.PNG

Another option: You can also try setting the Security Option to "None", to test and so you won't need a password to login to your WN1000RP

Message 6 of 7
jennifer1969
Aspirant

i have tried every step - including the none security. once it connects to the "new" connection, it says i am not connected to the internet. decided to just stop using the netgear, too irriatated when never had this problem before

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7