× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network Security Key

jschristie
Aspirant

Network Security Key

I am trying to change my network key and it doesn't allow me or the previously set password is still there, i have tried to reset my router and still it takes the default password and doesn't allow me to change the password. How could i solve this?

Model: WNR612v3|N150 router 2 port
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
jschristie
Aspirant

Re: Network Security Key

No Luck.. i think i have to bear with it or might have to replace the router.. However, i didn't try downgrading, since flashing itself didn't help.. i dont think downgrading will help.. may be some ROM in the router isn't flashing the memory or resetting the password.. Anyway this router has been working without any issues for more than 4years.. i guess its time to change..:(

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @jschristie

Welcome to the community!

Just to be clear, the network security key that you're trying to change is the Wireless Password, correct?

You may have to push the reset button firmly with a use of a paperclip and hold it down for 10 seconds.

Once you have done that, you will need to reconfigure the router to get back the connection and manually configure the settings you desire.

Message 2 of 12
jschristie
Aspirant

@ElaineM

Yes! you are right, wireless password is what i am trying to change.

And yes, i have tried that twice and i have reset my router to factory default twice and now my router is running on factory default password, and i am not able to change that too.

May be downgrade of firmware will help?

Message 3 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jschristie That's very strange. You may want to try to reflash the firmware first.

Meaning, you have to load the same firmware again. If you're using the latest firmware, download it once again and use that.

After uploading the firmware, do not forget to reset then reconfigure. If that will not work, then do downgrade. Again, do not forget to reset each and every time you load the firmware.

Message 4 of 12
jschristie
Aspirant

@ElaineM

Thank you, i will try that. Yes, i am running on latest version which is set to automatic update.

When you say use that, i have to just browse to the path where i have saved and click ok, or do i have to do anything else apart from that?

Message 5 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's correct. Just browse the file and upload. Just don't forget to reset after loading the firmware.

Resetting the router will require you to configure it again as if it's brand new out of the box.

Message 6 of 12
jschristie
Aspirant

Thank you @ElaineM.

I will do that and inform you on the end result.

Message 7 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is it successful?

Message 8 of 12
jschristie
Aspirant

No Luck.. i think i have to bear with it or might have to replace the router.. However, i didn't try downgrading, since flashing itself didn't help.. i dont think downgrading will help.. may be some ROM in the router isn't flashing the memory or resetting the password.. Anyway this router has been working without any issues for more than 4years.. i guess its time to change..:(

Message 9 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's probably time to change.

Have a great day!

Message 10 of 12
Tennille
Aspirant

Would you be able to help me Elaine? I can't figure out how to change my password or even figure out what my router is called because there are many other net gear routers in my area!
Message 11 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Tennille You may want to verify the wireless settings of your network by accessing the admin page of the router using a wired computer that is directly connected to the router.

I suggest that you change the name of your wireless network name in order to identify your own network and secure it using WPA2 type of security.

Kindly see the link below for troubleshooting.

How do I change my NETGEAR router WiFi password or network name (SSID)?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7