Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have connection, but can't access certain services from multiple devices

mrcovalt
Tutor

I have connection, but can't access certain services from multiple devices

My firmware is: V1.0.7.62_1

This is with my AXE7800 WiFi Router (RAXE300).

I have a strange problem. 
I have internet access, my speeds are great. I can browse the web, send files, download files, etc. You'd think my internet was all good. 
And yet, I'm unable to make connections to a number of services, and they're all quite different, so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. 

Also, a temporary and short-lived work around has been to unplug and power cycle my router. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

When I'm having these connection issues, these are some of the services I can't access:

Cannot connect with battle.net (Call Of Duty) on my Windows PC.

Cannot download apps from the Microsoft Store on my PC.

Cannot download games or updates on my Xbox.

Cannot download games or updates on my PS5.

It's so weird. On both my gaming consoles, it shows that I AM connected online; that I have a connection. But then if I try a network test, it tries for a while, and then it shows that it cannot access.

I've turned off Netgear Armor temporarily to try and troubleshoot.

I've also set Parental Controls to None so that no restrictions are in place.

What is going on!?

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I have connection, but can't access certain services from multiple devices

Something I suggest, Have the ISP take a look at the ISP signal and services up to there modem. Make sure that is all in good working order. Have them check for any events logs for ciritials, warnings or errors seen in the modems logs. Power levels should be with in the Mfr power specs. Check with Hitron about these items.

I'd factory reset the RAXE router and set up from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. 

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router
Or use the ERASE button on the routers web page to factory reset the router:
https://kb.netgear.com/24233/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

After you complete the setup routine, do not enable any Armor Or SPC or Traffic Meter for now. 

You might set a custom DNS to CloudFare or Quad9 as well under Advanced Tab/Setup/Internet. 

Check the router for IPv6 and disable this here for now if its enabled. Should be under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/IPv6. 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Is IPv6 enabled? 

What modem/gateway are you connected to? 

Try a different DNS Server. Here's a few. Also remember to change the ipv6 dns server if ipv6 is enabled.
CloudFlare
IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
IPv6: 2606:4700:4700:0:0:0:0:1111 and 2606:4700:4700:0:0:0:0:1001
GoogleDNS
IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
IPv6: 2001:4860:4860:0:0:0:0:8888 and 2001:4860:4860:0:0:0:0:8844

Message 2 of 16
Kitsap
Master

When you make changes to services like Armor, Parental Control, DNS, IPv6, and etc., it is good practice to reboot your router after you have saved the changes. 

Message 3 of 16
mrcovalt
Tutor

IPv6 is not enabled. 
(should I enable it?)

I updated my DNS to Google's, then restarted my router (and also restarted my modem first, for good measure). 

No improvement yet.

I should also add, I have another Netgear router (RAX120) connected to this one, in AP Mode, to give me WiFi in my detached guest house. But right now for testing, I've left it off, so I'm currently only working with my RAXE300

Message 4 of 16
Kitsap
Master

@mrcovalt wrote:

IPv6 is not enabled. 
(should I enable it?)

I updated my DNS to Google's, then restarted my router (and also restarted my modem first, for good measure). 

No improvement yet.

I should also add, I have another Netgear router (RAX120) connected to this one, in AP Mode, to give me WiFi in my detached guest house. But right now for testing, I've left it off, so I'm currently only working with my RAXE300

Yes, enable IPv6.

If you are using the Google DNS for IPv4, then it would be good but not mandatory to also use the Google DNS for IPv6.

Attached are some other addresses for public domain name servers.

Message 5 of 16
mrcovalt
Tutor

Okay, first time trying to enable IPv6.

I've got options:
Auto Detect

6to4 Tunnel

Pass Through

Fixed 

DHCP

PPPoE

Auto Config

6rd

If I choose Auto Detect, I have under LAN Setup the option to either:
Use DHCP Server 

Auto Config

Use This Interface ID

And also

IPv6 Filtering

Secured

Open

?

Message 6 of 16
Kitsap
Master

@mrcovalt wrote:

Okay, first time trying to enable IPv6.

I've got options:
Auto Detect

6to4 Tunnel

Pass Through

Fixed 

DHCP

PPPoE

Auto Config

6rd

If I choose Auto Detect, I have under LAN Setup the option to either:
Use DHCP Server 

Auto Config

Use This Interface ID

And also

IPv6 Filtering

Secured

Open

?

For internet connection type, choose DHCP.

For IPv6 filtering, choose Secured.

What part of the world are you running this router?

Who is your ISP?

Message 7 of 16
mrcovalt
Tutor

I'm in Los Angeles, CA, and my ISP is Spectrum

Message 8 of 16
mrcovalt
Tutor

Maybe we should forget the IPv6 setup. 
Looking more online, it seems pretty involved and unnecessary. 
I've been working with IPv4 for years without issue.

However, I still cannot connect to many services and it's really stumping me. I cannot figure this out.
I've restarted my modem and routers so many times. 

To recap, my ISP is Spectrum. My modem is plugged into my RAXE300. 
I've switched my DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

I cannot download apps on my PC with Microsoft Store.

I cannot connect to Call Of Duty on my Xbox or PC or PS5.

I can however, connect to Fortnite. 
With speedtests, I'm showing extremely fast download and upload speeds.

Why are certain sites/services just unavaible?

Another test on my Xbox, when I do "Test network speeds and statistics" it shows that download and upload speeds are unavailable (it's obviously unable to connect to that server).

What is going on??

Message 9 of 16
Kitsap
Master

Repeat question that @plemans asked and I do not see an answer.

What is the brand name and model number of the modem/gateway that is connected upstream between your router and the internet?  Look on the label on the device.

Both the Armor and Parental Control services take control of and supersede the DNS settings you have configured in your router.  Sometimes they are very difficult to get turned off/removed from your router configuration.

From online information, it appears Spectrum supports IPv6.  Are you using a Spectrum supplied modem?  Is it just a modem or a combination modem/router?

Message 10 of 16
mrcovalt
Tutor

Oh my bad, I missed that question earlier.

The modem is one that Spectrum has provided with my service. It's a Hitron EN2251.

I think you're right about Armor and Parental Controls. 
After reading your comment, I went into Nighthawk and turned off ALL parental controls, and also turned off Armor. 
Previously, I kept my 2 kids profiles turned on, but for testing I made sure it was all off. Restarted my router and now I'm able to connect to services on my Xbox again. 

In Nighthawk I've seen messages that show there's been some connections being blocked, but I've not been able to figure out how to look deeper and see what it is. I'm feeling a little vulnerable now with Armor turned off, but it's the only way to get connected to the Microsoft Store, Xbox, Call Of Duty (battle.net), etc.

Oh, and yes I wouldn't be surprised if Spectrum supports IPv6, it just looked more involved than I could understand to get it turned on. If there's a clear guide as to how to get it on, I'd be game.

Thanks for your help.

Message 11 of 16
mrcovalt
Tutor

Today I turned Armor back on, but have left Parental Controls all off. 
Now with Armor on, I'm still able to connect to those services I wasn't able to before. 
So, I'm concluding that it must have been something in the Parental Controls that was blocking access to the Microsoft Store, Call of Duty servers, etc. 
Odd, because the devices that were getting blocked weren't on my kids lists, and they were set to "None" - as in, no blocking at all should be happening.
Do the parental controls just not actually work as intended?

Message 12 of 16
mrcovalt
Tutor

Rats - I've still got the same problems, and I have Armor and Parental Controls both turned off completely.

My only work around has been to reboot my router over, and over, and over again. And even that sometimes doesn't work. 

To recap - I have a good internet connection - fast speeds, can download, upload, etc. BUT, I can't download or connect to certain sites. 
In particular, when this happens, I can't download from the Microsoft Store on my Windows laptop, or connect to Battle.net to play or update Call Of Duty, or download system updates in Windows 11. 

It's also not only on my Windows laptop. 
My iMac, my Xbox, my iPad - they're all experiencing this. Sometimes they can't get online at all. Sometimes they can get online, but not download from specific sites. 

Totally frustrating and can't figure out a solution.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I suggest, Have the ISP take a look at the ISP signal and services up to there modem. Make sure that is all in good working order. Have them check for any events logs for ciritials, warnings or errors seen in the modems logs. Power levels should be with in the Mfr power specs. Check with Hitron about these items.

I'd factory reset the RAXE router and set up from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. 

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router
Or use the ERASE button on the routers web page to factory reset the router:
https://kb.netgear.com/24233/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

After you complete the setup routine, do not enable any Armor Or SPC or Traffic Meter for now. 

You might set a custom DNS to CloudFare or Quad9 as well under Advanced Tab/Setup/Internet. 

Check the router for IPv6 and disable this here for now if its enabled. Should be under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/IPv6. 

Message 14 of 16
mrcovalt
Tutor

Thanks for your suggestions.

I called my ISP and they weren't very helpful. Basically asked me to work around my router and plug directly into the modem. Then did I have a problem? No, but I am not using my router at that point. They couldn't help me any further.

I then did the ERASE function through the browser and setup the router once again.
For the moment, things are working.

I'll get back on here if I run into issues again.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7