× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS305P bocks connection to Internet

POEsystem1246
Aspirant

GS305P bocks connection to Internet

Unable to connect through this unmanaged switch. Direct to Comcast modem is ok. The switch is used for a 4 camera surveillance system on Windows 10.
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS305P bocks connection to Internet

Just a little bit confusing. Four cameras and a PC and a Comcast Modem - with just five ports?

Does this Comcast modem also serve act as a router, serving the LAN for DHCP, assigning private IP addresses to the cameras and the PC?

Message 2 of 7
POEsystem1246
Aspirant

I’m sorry. 4 camera capable. I only have 1 camera. The switch is used on the PC. The switch is connected to the Xfinity router/modem. The switch is only connected to Xfinity periodically to update, then disconnected.
Message 3 of 7
POEsystem1246
Aspirant

“Does this Comcast modem also serve act as a router, serving the LAN for DHCP, assigning private IP addresses to the cameras and the PC?“

Yes. The modem does everything but I believe I need to do some stuff in the PC surveillance app and Windows.
Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Please tell us more about the switch link and activity LED.

Does the PC get an IP address assigned from the router DHCP server? Show the ipconfig details

C:\>ipconfig

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Ethernet-Adapter Ethernet :

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix: xxx.xxxxx.xx
IPv6-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . : ...
Temporäre IPv6-Adresse. . . . . . : ...
Verbindungslokale IPv6-Adresse . : ...

IPv4-Adresse . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.225
Subnetzmaske . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

How is that single camera connected - do you see from the unknown recorder software if the camera is on that very same IP subnet, too?

Can you login to the Comcast router via it's LAN IP, and locate the list of connected devices - MAC addresses and LAN IPv4 addresses?

Message 5 of 7
POEsystem1246
Aspirant

It’s flickering amber on the port to the Comcast router and amber/green to the camera. I’m on Ubuntu now.
Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@POEsystem1246 wrote:
It’s flickering amber on the port to the Comcast router and amber/green to the camera.

Consult the NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE Unmanaged Switch GS305P (55W) and 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ U... for the LED indications.

GS305P LEDs.PNG

@POEsystem1246 wrote:
I’m on Ubuntu now.

This has no relevance, the switch LED indications are the same.

Not sure what you expect here from the Netgear community members now. You have not told us what camera, what recorder software, of the cameras and the recorder does get IP addresses assigned from the modem-router, not even mentioned you are able to access and login on your router LAN IP, to check if the cameras for the IP address(es) on the LAN. One would imagine this Ubuntu system is kind of workable, you can login, open a Web browser, and access the router Web UI - a feature almost certainly available on your Comcast modem/router - assuming it's really router, and not just a cable modem.

Any simple computer with a graphical desktop, and a Web browser would allow the Internet access even in that case. Start letting us know what Comcast cable modem or modem-router you have in place, and some experienced user could chime in here.

An workable switch won't block any Internet connection by the way.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements